Claudia E. Minnesota

Planned Parenthood

The future of affordable and accessible care is held in Planned Parenthood and its continuation.

Nice job getting elected to the highest office in the United States, that’s pretty neat. With all the power you possess, odds are you can make a difference. That is why I am writing today on behalf of an issue that is of utmost importance to me. The continuation of Planned Parenthood.

Planned parenthood is a government subsidized health care provider that serves 2.7 million women, men, and young people. Its primary mission states is “Planned Parenthood believes in the fundamental right of each individual, throughout the world, to manage his or her fertility, regardless of the individual's income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or residence”. Some of the services Planned Parenthood distributes are STI/STD tests for men and women, Contraception, Cancer Screenings, Pregnancy Tests, Prenatal Care, Sex ED, and advocacy on behalf of those without a voice.

However, many Politicians and Activist Groups constantly tear it downs for the tremendous 3% (Parenthood) of its charitable work that goes towards abortion – even though it is a legal practice since Roe vs. Wade. This small amount of legal work that prevents women from performing their own abortions or turning to unsafe procedures is not reason enough to defund or ban a program that helps an estimated 1 in 5 women in the US through its 650 centers nation wide.

Planned Parenthood is more than a center where women, men, and children go to receive aid. It is the sexual education many students are taught in Public Schools, it advocates for the Rights of the LGBT+ community and others without a voice in the health care world and most importantly it provides care for little to no cost for people who need the care but cannot afford it or otherwise do not have access to it. I hope my letter has persuaded you to think as I do and believe in the importance of a healthcare center like Planned Parenthood and continue its funding.

Claudia Elsenbast

Parenthood, Planned. "Mission." Mission. Planned Parenthood, 21 May 2014. Web. 16 Oct. 2016

Parenthood, Planned. "Planned Parenthood at a Glance." Planned Parenthood at a Glance. Planned   Parenthood, 09 Sept. 2016. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.