Madison S. Texas

Legalizing Medical Marijuana

The U.S. has legalized Medical Marijuana in 25 states, but will the remaining half of the United States follow?

The National Institute of Drug Abuse defines “Medical Marijuana” as “The use of the whole or unprocessed Marijuana plant or its basic extracts to treat a disease or symptom.”. Half of the United States has legalized Marijuana for medical purposes, and I urge you to encourage the remaining 25 states to do the same.

Medical Marijuana has been proven to benefit those struck with incurable diseases like Multiple Sclerosis, and even improve the quality of life for those diagnosed with cancer. Cannabidiol, also known as CBD is a non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. This means that it DOES NOT induce an euphoric-like high and addiction rates are at an all time low. CBD has a wide range of medical benefits, which includes Anticonvulsant properties (to suppress seizure activity), and Anti-Tumor/Anti-Cancer properties (combatting cancer cells). CBD has also been known to treat depression, anxiety, neurodegenerative and immune disorders as well as reduce physical pain.

The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved medicinal marijuana as a medical option, however they have approved two medications containing cannabinoid chemicals in pill form. Patients who rely on pain medications, like Hydrocodone to carry out their daily lives are more likely to get addicted. Pain medications also wear down organs like your kidneys and liver, eventually resulting in more complex medical issues. Therefor Marijuana for medicinal purposes should be legalized everywhere in the U.S.

Madison S.

Student, KHS