Aaron Minnesota

Letter to President

My opinion on a few issues that I find very important.

Dear Mr(s). President,

As you know, there are many different issues in the Country today. However, there are a couple specific ones I want to talk to you about. Those issues are: gay marriage and abortion.

The first one I want to talk about is gay marriage. I don’t wanna be that guy that’s all “it shouldn’t be legal” or anything like that. I don’t want to be the person that discriminates against homosexual people. My issue is that since it is now legal in all 50 states, Christians aren’t allowed to refuse to marry a gay couple. For example, a clerk from Kentucky was arrested last summer for refusing to marry a homosexual couple. She has been released from prison since then, and has gone back to her job. However, she is being forced to accept requests for same-sex marriage licenses. This country, which was founded on the idea of religious freedom, is discriminating against this woman for following her beliefs. I believe that people should be able to stand for their beliefs, and not be afraid to hide them because they think it will get them in trouble. The first amendment of the Constitution states: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” But, isn’t making someone do what they believe is wrong, based on their religion, violating that amendment?

The next issue I want to talk about is abortion. I find the whole idea of it to be wrong. What gives someone the right to freely take the life of an innocent child? Some people may argue that it isn’t a living being at the time of abortion. But, isn’t preventing a life from happening the same thing as murder? Why is that child’s life less valuable than someone who is in society? I believe that abortion shouldn’t be legal. There are so many more options for what someone could do with a child if they don’t want them, that don’t involve murder. For example, a kid can be given up for adoption. A kid that is given up for adoption has an opportunity at doing something good with their life.