Madison M. California

2nd Amendment Illumination?

I'm a kid that lives in a family who's all for guns. Turning on the TV to hear how everyone's concern about huge mass shootings, and they complain about how we should get rid of guns. Which me makes me wonder, what about the 2nd amendment?

Dear Future President,                                                                                                                                                      Lately the media and the news has been blowing up about guns. I’ve heard bad things though. People watching freak out and go insane, then they vent about how we shouldn’t have guns. These people likely don’t own guns, therefore being against this weapon is easier. I’m a 14-year-old girl in a family that owns lots of guns. Which should mean, I’m for guns. Why are things are getting more strict on gun laws, it makes me think that slowly the 2nd Amendment is denounce. We should keep guns, even if so many people disagree and wish these weapons didn't exist.

Where I live in the country, it’s fine to shoot targets, or practice on accuracy and know how to respectfully use guns. I can remember the times when my family meets up in our living room, we would discuss the plan for fire drills, earthquakes, and if there is intruders. Every time we discuss our family safety it gives me the chills, thinking that anytime at night someone could break in and steal what I have, or maybe even steal me. If this was to happen my dad told me to stay on my bed and yell “Dad, grab the gun!” maybe just by saying that whoever is after me would run. Have I mentioned that my house is a target for getting robbed? In my neighborhood my house is the only two-story, cleaned up, nice looking house. All the other houses are quite runned down, and a little sketchy. My mom told me to be careful because she saw someone's record saying they were a sexoffender, and that they only live right across the street from me. Having guns makes me feel very safe, trust me.

Guns. Cause. Harm. Every time a mass shooting happens so many people freak out! I’m sure it’s people who don’t own guns, and they argue saying we need to get rid of guns. With all the problems and commotion going on, I feel like the second amendment is gradually being illuminated. For example in the past you only needed to know how to use a gun correctly. With today's society now you need to get your gun traced down so people know you have it and they know where it is. Then there are background checks, passing the Open Carry law, there is so much more to this now and things are getting a little tight and complicated. 

Yet don’t get me wrong, guns do cause harm and it makes me sad that people are continuing to die from them. When I hear about a shooting everyone talks about, I wouldn't have a problem if they wanted to speak about how much they hate guns, it makes a lot of sense to do so. Knowing that lots people are dying by bullets, and that if someone has a gun they may not be taking the weapon seriously. That leads me saying that it’s not the gun killing people, it’s whoever has the gun in there hands that killed. Background checks are alright with me if someone wants a gun, if i hear someone has a gun I know that in their past they haven't really caused any arm to people or someone, but things are getting pretty strict. Want to buy ammo? Surprise! That will be keeping track of, just like how you keep track of your gun, and the government could simply take your gun away. I know there are so many people out there that respects the 2nd amendment and use guns like they should be used, with respect, knowledge and wisdom. So please, let us keep our rights to bear arms.

Madison Morrill

MCAA

MCAA B2

English 9 Block 2 students share their concerns with the next President of the United States