Alexis R. California

LGBT+ rights

I believe that the LGBT+ community needs to be protected by not just people inside but people who support them.

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" (Anonymous). The issue here is that too many people are shamming, hating on people apart of the LGBT+ community for showing who they truly are. For many years the LGBT+ Community has been shamed, disrespected and harmed by not just by the families that don't approve, are homophobic but the people outside their family, like in schools, coffee shops, stores that are verbally hurting them because they are don't approve of same- sex love, homophobic or don't approve a girl being a guy and vice versa. I believe that people need to stop shaming, disrespecting, disgracing gays, bis, trans and other genders and sexuality for being who they are. This is situation may effect many people in different ways, some in a good way and some in a bad way. 

The fact that families, people outside of family are hurting those who are proud to show who they are on the inside. Not only does it affect me as being part of the LGBT+ community but others who are in the community as well. Not just lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgenders but the straight people who support LGBT+ community. I'm sure that we were younger our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles told us to be proud for who we are, but when some kids, teenagers and adults come out to their parents  about being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender they immediately are ashamed to have their own child not be straight and some parents may begin to verbally abuse them but some parents might go extreme and not only verbally abuse them but physically abuse them. This is why some kids, teens and adults are afraid to come out, because they are afraid to be either verbally and or physically abused. There are other reasons they are afraid is because it may be against their religion, either both or one of their parents is homophobic and or both or one parent is against LGBT+ community.

Now I know that homophobic people can not change who they are but something that can solve this situation is just to let them be and to not single them out. That is self explanatory.   

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English