ma Oregon

Immigration

Immigration and how unaccompanied children come to the United States and have many obstacles to overcome to live a better life.

Dear next President,

I am a student at West Albany High School. Immigrant children represent the fastest growing segment of the U.S. population; one in every four children lives in an immigrant family. Children from immigrant families face a variety of challenges to their health and well being, including poverty, lack of health insurance, low education, poor housing, and language barriers. The government has to do something about allowing more immigration.

My uncle came to the U.S five years ago to stay with my family for a while. The reason he said he wanted to come here was because his family was in need of money, He said it was going rough for them back home, and so he wanted to provide for them. He then went on looking for a job. He filled out an application, got interviewed and finally got the job. He would then send his family money every few weeks, and from there on my uncle's family got back on their feet. His strong family values reflect the American dream. He would be a great citizen and should be allowed the opportunity to become a citizen.

An increasing number of unaccompanied children come from Central America into the United States along the Southern U.S. border. Many illegal children and adults come to the U.S. to achieve the goal of education, or wanting to earn money to send to their families that need it. Many children and parents come to the U.S. to earn money and others come for educational purposes . Many escape because they are being pursued in their home country whether it's for political, religious, economical, or social reasons. The United States was founded to allow people freedom from these very issues. It only makes sense for these immigrants to become citizens as well.

Immigration laws impacts families. We must change immigration laws to help keep families together in the country; children need their parents. Many children and adults face difficult challenges when ICE/ U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement deports people. We need to support them as they reach for the American dream. Immigrants who are willing to work hard and support their families should be allowed to become citizens. We need citizenship opportunities for hardworking immigrants now.

Moises A.