Funding for the Future

Planned Parenthood should be funded.

Dear Mr. President,

Funding for Planned Parenthood is an extremely controversial topic about where taxpayer dollars go. Even though only 3% of its services go to abortion, and none of its funding for those services are actually from the government, people seem to ignore the other 97% of good that they do.

Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers for women’s healthcare.It has provided sex education for 100 years and offers many services such as contraception, cancer screenings and STI and STD testing. On the planned parenthood website it claims, “Eighty percent of our patients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy,” and “Planned Parenthood services help prevent approximately 579,000 unintended pregnancies in a single year.” They also state, “Planned Parenthood provides more than 270,000 Pap tests and more than 360,000 breast exams in a single year,” and “Planned Parenthood provides more than 4.2 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections,”. In yearly report, it stated as of 2014, planned parenthood provided 4,665,000 people worldwide, with sexual and reproductive health care and education. 70% had “incomes at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level” and 75% prevented unintended pregnancy with these services.

Because of this how widespread this organization is, we wouldn't only be taking away from millions in the US, but also other developing countries that need this help. By having the resources for free forms of contraception, and cancer and STI and STD testing, many women and men are able to continue and achieve their goals in life. I am fortunate enough to have parents who had access to healthcare and contraception, and my parents were able to have a steady income, job, and house, before they had me, but not everyone can have that. Because of the free forms of contraception it offers, many women, have been able to continue towards the goal of having a steady job, income, and house. Because of cancer and STI/STD testings, they might not have been alive, or able , as well as achieved their goals. It gives them an opportunity to find out early on about their health, without a big fat paycheck.

Planned Parenthood is too important to eliminate and deserves federal funding. Besides the controversial abortion services, and many of the videos that are not so reliable, it is one of the biggest healthcare providers for women in the US, and has many services for working class people who can't afford them elsewhere. It's funding from the government shouldn't get cut, because of a religious and bias standpoint. Planned Parenthood does more than good, and is beneficial for everyone.