Adrian S. Massachusetts

Climate Change

Climate change is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with immediately.

Dear Madam or Mr. President,

Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of our time. Rising sea levels and increasing temperatures are only a few of the many effects of climate change, and I think that not enough is being done to address climate change. This issue is also important to me, because I know that it has the ability to affect everyone, regardless of location or status. I live near Boston, Massachusetts, which is particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels, and I am worried about what these rising sea levels may mean for my community. My neighborhood also depends on the normality of the climate, which is being put in jeopardy by current human activities. If this trend is not reversed, we could experience a decrease in biodiversity, more severe weather, longer droughts, and higher temperatures, just to name a few. To sum it all up, climate change is a serious national security issue, and it must be dealt with immediately.

Many people claim that climate change isnโ€™t occurring, or that it is not a problem our generation has to tackle. However, the statistics speak for themselves. According to Independent, 97% of scientists agree that climate change is caused by humans. This shows that the people who study our world every single day pretty much agree that climate change is a direct result of human activity. In addition, NASA states that all 10 of the hottest years on record since the 1880s have occurred in the past 12 years. This means that there is concrete evidence supporting the existence of climate change, and that there is no point in denying it. Also, according to NASA, the carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere have now reached 400 parts per million, the highest they have ever been for centuries. In brief, climate change is real, and it is happening right here and right now.

My ultimate hope is that you will pass laws during your presidency to make progress towards a healthier, more sustainable planet. I believe that you should start by setting goals for the auto industry and the energy sector to be completely carbon-neutral within the next 30 years. This will help both create jobs and protect the environment. You should also be sure to consider environmental effects before building pipelines, expanding cities, or doing anything else that involves clearing land for use. I want you to work with both Congress and private businesses to pass comprehensive reforms to our transportation sector and our industrial sector. Furthermore, I want you to become a devoted supporter of the need to address climate change, in order to move people to take action. In conclusion, having you put up a fight against climate change should certainly be one of the main goals of your administration, and I hope you have the heart to do this for our people and for mother Earth herself.

Adrian