Tim. A Washington

Marine Pollution

The effects of polluting the ocean

President

The White House

Washington, D.C.

To the next President of the U.S,

Have you ever been informed of the dangerous effects of marine pollution? Many people don’t realize how important this issue is. Have you ever heard of all of the items that go into the ocean? It affects our ocean and all of the marine life. This issue has been in the world for a long time and we need more help. People should be aware of marine pollution. When people pollute the water, it can affect the marine life by trapping and killing it.

It is true that there are other people who believe that other issues in the world are more important. Issues like immigration, rights, and global warming are very important issues that need to be solved. On the other hand, this issue is a combination of many issues. If we keep polluting the ocean, there will be a decrease in sea food, ocean cleanliness, and more.

It is very important that we keep our oceans clean because the pollution can dangerously affect the marine life. For example, “Plastic garbage, which decomposes very slowly, is often mistaken for food by marine animals. High concentrations of plastic material, particularly plastic bags, have been found blocking the breathing passages and stomachs of many marine species, including whales, dolphins, seals, puffins, and turtles. Plastic six-pack rings for drink bottles can also choke marine animals. ("WWF Global"). It is very important that we stop the spread of ocean pollution.

This shows how dangerous pollution can be to the marine life. Just hearing how this affects water animals can convince people to take action. Some of these items are very harmful to the marine environment and need to be put to an end.

There are many forms of pollution, but oil can be a very dangerous one. For example oil spills that get into the ocean can cause a lot of damage. “Oil spills cause huge damage to the marine environment - but in fact are responsible for only around 12% of the oil entering the seas each year. According to a study by the US National Research Council, 36% comes down drains and rivers as waste and runoff from cities and industry ” ("WWF Global"). This is important that we stop this problem because our ocean can get worse.

This explains how oil spills can be a critical type of pollution to our oceans. This type of pollution can damage our marine environments and cause harm to fish. We can all end this issue by stopping ocean pollution.

Pollutants are also a big part of marine pollution. For example, many people don’t think that pollutants are in the ocean.” Pollution is the introduction of harmful contaminants that are outside the norm for a given ecosystem. Common man-made pollutants that reach the ocean include pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, detergents, oil, sewage, plastics, and other solids. Scientists are even discovering that pharmaceuticals ingested by humans but not fully processed by our bodies are eventually ending up in the fish we eat ” ("Marine Pollution"). It is important that everyone is informed of these dangers.

This explains how pollutants are a big part of marine pollution. Pharmaceuticals which are medical drugs, are eventually ending up in the fish we eat. It is very important that we stop and clean marine pollution.

I am convinced that we can all stop ocean pollution and pollution in general. Marine pollution is a huge issue that many people are not aware of. The effects of this are severe. Everyone can help end this important issue. I believe that we can keep our oceans clean.

Timothy A.

West Seattle High School

5th Period LA9

Hopkins Intro to Literature & Composition