Benjamin D. Georgia

Police Brutality

Police Brutality needs to stop because people of my color are being shot at for no reason.

Dear Future President

Police Brutality is a very common event in the news. It affects many people in the USA. Police Brutality is mainly against blacks. This topic is very close to me. It’s close to me because I don’t want to be afraid about what a cop will do to me. I hope that you read this and understand my struggle. Police Brutality needs to stop because people of my color are being shot at for no reason.

One thing we can do to stop this is to have more police training. You always see videos of police shootings at innocent people mainly black. I watch a video that said “Police train in the US for only a few weeks.” This fact is probably why Police Brutality is in the news most of the time. This is big to me because I don’t want to get pulled over for no reason. Especially if his first instinct is to reach for his gun and shoot me, because it makes no sense.

This has happened in the past. A young black boy was walking at night with his hood on and got shot. In an article it talked about “Young black boys in this country aren’t safe, Black men in this country aren’t safe.” A black man said to a police officer “I have my hands up and I don’t have a weapon.” The officer still shot him, but that makes no sense. I wouldn’t want this to happen and I don’t think you would either.

In the future, I don’t want to worry about this. I don’t want to worry when I get kids if I’m gonna see them again. When I start driving I don’t want to be pulled over and there’s no obvious reason. I don’t think any parent would want that to happen to their child. Everybody has rights when they are citizens. I, as a citizen, don’t want my life to be taken from me because I’m black.

I hope you take this letter and read it. It is very important to me and too many people in the country. Police Brutality needs to stop, because I don’t want to be pulled over and get shot at for no reason.