Grace C. Connecticut

Not Everything Is As It Seems

A parent's worst nightmare. Drugs. How can we stop it?

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

In the next four years, you are responsible for the lives of every American. It is your job to protect their health and well-being and you can do this by being aware of the issues that are affecting our young generation. These children will grow up and take over the access to jobs and leaderships. We need to do our best to make sure they are successful. This will not be the case if they continue down the path that they are currently on. These young future leaders of America are out of control with drug abuse. Before we know it, it will be too late. This is why we need to address the problem before it gets out of our control.

Prescription drugs are abused by all ages but it has become very common among the younger generation. These drugs are very accessible and cheap, so this is a perfect opportunity for teenagers to take advantage of. Most of the medicine that is being abused is prescribed by doctors themselves! Of course there are cases where the medicine is helpful, but how conscientious are doctors when it comes to who they allow access to it? Probably not enough. Everyday, about 2,500 teenagers abuse prescription drugs. Imagine how many of them got these prescriptions from a doctor or parent.

A lot of these young adults believe that these type of drugs are safer than the ones that they could get from the street. Little do they know they are just as bad, if not worse. About 45% of deaths caused by drugs are because of prescriptions drugs. Only 39% are caused by street drugs. This is because it is so accessible and they see it as something that is helpful, but this is only the case when they are used properly.

Dr. Nora D. Volkow says “Teenagers believe that if a doctor gives a drug to you, it cannot be so terrible to abuse.” We have let it get to the point where this is their mindset. As someone who is a part of this generation, I can say that I see it happening around me every day. Even though I am only a senior in high school, I have already known several people who either passed away or are suffering because drugs took over their lives. No one wants to see this happening to the younger generation who have great potential.

Even though it may seem like this situation is hard to overcome completely, I am hopeful that with your help, we can help these innocent children get back on the right path and have a very successful future that they are capable of. This is for the good of families across the nation but also for the overall future of America. Would you want to do something about it if it was your son or daughter at risk? As president, you now have to think of America as your one, very large family, and you are responsible for the safety of all the people apart of it.

Thank you for your time and I know, with your help, we can preserve the youth of America.

Grace Colossale

Lewis S. Mills High School

Advanced Composition

Mrs. Mandel's Advanced Composition students write about what's meaningful to them, across disciplines, genres, and domains.