Kristine L Georgia

Racial Profiling

Racial Profiling is a problem that needs to be solved

Dear Future/Next President,

Racial Profiling is an act of discrimination that happens when law enforcements use race or religion as a generalization for suspecting someone of having committed a crime. It's like judging a book by its cover. Over the past decade, there have been many issues with racial profiling in the U.S. It is a major problem and we have to hold the law enforcement to be accountable for their actions by putting body cameras on officers. The Fourth Amendment states that it protect the people's "right to privacy and freedom from arbitrary governmental intrusions," but law enforcements still target many minorities across the country.

Many supporters of racial profiling argue that this practice cuts down on crime, but, in fact, it does the opposite. For example, let's say that there are 100 citizen in total and there are 10 black and white citizens who are criminals. The law enforcement's decide that they are going to target the blacks three times more than white citizens because of their race. It turns out that they caught 6 out of 10 black citizens but only 3 out of 10 white citizens. Now they assume that black citizen are the main people who are committing the crime and you now have even more officers stopping black innocent citizen more than white citizens who are committing the crime.

This problem matters because we have to have trust in the people who are protecting our lives. If officers aren't holding themselves accountable for their actions we as a nation view need to view them in a different perspective. One way we can prevent this problem from happening is putting body cameras on law enforcement.

-Kristine L