Victoria R. Georgia

Equal and Empowering?

People should be treated fairly no matter who they are.

Dear Mr. or Madam President,

I thought the United States was supposed to be an equal and empowering country. We are definitely not that right now. People should be treated fairly no matter who they are.

There are so many racist remarks out there that need to go unsaid. Everyone works hard to be able to take care of their families. Many people work day and night to provide food for their children. All these racist remarks that are being said are unnecessary, because you don’t know what those people are going through. There are so many cases of Racial Profiling. Racial Profiling is when a certain group is being targeted or discriminated because of their race or ethnicity. According to Lauren Gallow on Issues.com, “Any time an individual uses race as a determining factor to assess who might be participating in criminal activity—from a TSA officer targeting a Muslim passenger for additional screening to a police officer pulling over a black driver because of racial bias to a store owner reporting a Hispanic customer for appearing "suspicious" based solely on his or her race—it can be considered an example of racial profiling.” She also states, “critics of racial profiling argue that it violates the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution, which guarantees the right to be safe from search and seizure without probable cause, and the Fourteenth Amendment, which requires that all citizens be treated equally under the law,” and “racial profiling perpetuates pre-existing stereotypes that certain minorities—especially black, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern men—are criminals”. It is unfair that innocent people are being shot, arrested, and more because of how they look or the color of their skin. Also, women should be treated equally as men. We work just as hard as they do, but are completely put down. We should be appreciated and not discouraged.

I know you must be thinking, what about the bad people? Yes I agree that all races have bad people, but the good ones are the ones I stand up for. Instead of assuming what a person is doing and shoot or arrest them, police should make sure they are not doing anything bad first before someone loses their life. Instead of pushing people out of the country and into a terrible life, we should be helping them start a good life here in the United States. This country wouldn’t be what it is without immigrants from all around the world. Also, instead of publicly embarrassing women, we should have women empowerment talk on television for the public to see. Women should also have a equal salary as men. Sometimes we work harder but are told that we are incapable and other discouraging comments. We should be treated equal. EVERYONE should be treated equal!

In conclusion, all people have the right to live a happy life and be treated fairly here in the United States. We all need to help those who want a good life here instead of kicking them out. Also, women need to be treated with respect and not treated like a downcast. So please, empower women instead of calling them “fat”, and stop the unnecessary racist remarks because you just make yourself look bad. Thank you for your consideration.

Victoria R.