Elle O. Iowa

Pollution Solution

Small steps can make a big impact.

As the next leader of our country it is important that you realize how much pollution is affecting our country. Nearly half of the country is living in places where pollution levels are very high. The percent of people in our country living in dangerous pollution levels is continuing to grow each year. Worldly, around 90% of people are living in pollution levels above the World Health Organization’s limits. This is something that needs to come to an end if we want our world to continue to be a healthy place for us.

Pollution can affect the physical health of people. For example, being around pollution can lead to asthma, premature death, and cardiovascular conditions. The heart and lungs are very affected by pollution. In fact, studies have shown that there is about a 20% increase in hospital admissions for issues related to this. Also in America, around 7 in every 100,000 people die each year from pollution. But pollution affects everyone, and everyone is at risk of pollution affecting them. If we want to maintain good health for future generations, pollution is something that needs to be addressed.

I believe that it would be in the best interest of the country if more policies and regulations were set up to help prevent pollution. Many simple things can be done to help stop pollution. Carpool with others to create less gas emissions, or ride a bike. Instead of making many trips, combine your errands into one trip, save energy whenever possible, and recycle. All these simple things would help to create better fresh air and water, which is good for everyone. As the president, you should reinforce and emphasize all of these simple things, and others, to help make the world a better place for us all.

Some steps have already been put into place by former presidents to help prevent pollution. The Environmental Protection Agency is an organization that has been put in place to help our country with problems including pollution. Even television shows like Disney, or Nickelodeon, have segments to promote clean living. It encourages the younger generation to contribute to making our world a better place and helps to instill good habits into the youth. Organizations like this should be continued, and more should be put in place to continue to promote clean living.

Some people don’t want the government to tell them how to live. They don’t like being required to take certain precautions or follow certain guidelines. But I encourage people to think about the world their children and their grandchildren will live in. If you want them to live a healthy and happy life, it is important to take steps right now, in your own lifetime, to eliminate pollution.

It can be seen that pollution is a big problem, and it is something that needs to be addressed. It affects not only our world, but it can affect the daily living of people. Pollution is very harmful. It can do serious damage to the health of people and the environment. If we want to preserve our world, and live in a clean world with healthy people, pollution needs to come to the forefront of your thoughts.

Elle Olthoff

Junior at Okoboji High School