Bailey California

Terrorism

My letter to the future president is about how terrorism affects America, and the tragic impact it can have on our daily lives

The issue I will be addressing in this letter has many Americans concerned, including myself-Terrorism. According to Dictionary.com, “Terrorism is the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.” This problem is not only occurring in the United States, but worldwide. Even though this problem is happening all over the world, I believe you can take steps to prevent or decrease these massive tragedies.

Terrorism is a detrimental issue happening here in the United States. The article entitled Impact of Terrorism on the Daily Lives of Americans explains, "Roughly three in four Americans consider some aspect of terrorism - terrorism itself, fear of war, national security, and the possible loss of freedoms because of war". This article matters because America is a free country who has one of the strongest military defense systems in the world, therefore living in this land we should not have to stress when or where these attacks are going to take place. Terrorism is a scary and real problem that America has had first hand experience with. With all of the previous terrorist attacks that have happened in the U.S. it should cause Americans to take steps to make this land safer. As President of the United States, I believe you have the power to make that happen.

According to The Causes of Terrorism article "Social and Political Injustice: People choose terrorism when they are trying to right what they perceive to be a social or political or historical wrong- when they have been stripped of their land or rights, or denied these". Terrorism is caused by several factors such as: Discrimination, Alienation, Religion, and Political Grievances. Terrorists believe that using violent tactics will resolve the problem and make the change they want happen.

Terrorism can have a significant effect on Americans lives. The Effects of Terrorism article states, "Besides the injuries and deaths immediately brought about by terrorist attacks, survivors often suffer from post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and major depression. The economy suffers an immediate impact due to building and infrastructure damage, but it also suffers long-term effects from trauma to financial markets, a rise in spending on security and defense, and the impact on supply chains of enhanced security at land, sea and air border crossings." Terrorism not only causes physical damage, but mental damage as well. No one benefits from these severe attacks.

There are three different perspectives of terrorism. The terrorist, the victims, and the general public. Each one of these people see these massive attacks differently. The terrorist does not see themselves as evil or doing the wrong thing. They are fighting for what they believe in and that is their only mindset. The victims are completely caught off guard. They see the attacker as a criminal trying to take their lives. The general public only sees what they are shown. They feel hopeless and unsafe. All three perspectives in this issue are dramatically different. These perspectives matter because each one is clear and right to the one viewing it. This problem will be tough to solve because people strongly believe in the perspective they see.

This worldwide problem with terrorism is a very serious issue all Americans should be aware of. It is a real and scary thing happening. As the future President of the United States I hope you are as concerned for our country's safety as I am. There are several ways we can prevent this issue from occurring and I hope you will take steps to do so. As a concerned citizen I am asking you as the future President of the United States to make preventing terrorism a number one priority.

Bailey C., Yreka Union High School 

Yreka High School

English IV

12th grade students at Yreka High School.