Giselle Mendoza California

Taste of Foreign Reality

The Reality of Immigration

Dear Ma'am or Sir,

I hold you to a very high esteem for many reasons, but I am not writing this to flatter you but discuss real issues in “our” country. That's the thing, I say “our” country and yet I was not born here and neither was my mother unlike my younger siblings. I was however, raised here and have resided the majority of my life here. I left my country, Mexico, when I was 10 months old with my mother, leaving behind two older siblings of mine because we wanted a better life. We starved there and continued to starve here when we first arrived as my mother struggled every day trying to put a roof over our heads. I have now been living here for approximately 14 years going to school and learning everything every other kid in California has.

I am a part of the Los Angeles Police Department as a cadet and plan to study aboard the Armed Forces (U.S. Army). I elaborate on this because it seems like they don't give people in situations such as mine documents or even visas even though we're basically American because of our long term residence. The theory is that they believe we're bad people, “Mexican rapists and drug lords” and I believe my life is an example that this statement is untrue. Not only am I dedicating my time and effort into this country as a part of the LAPD but will continue as I plan to serve it as well. Despite me not being born in this country, I have a loyalty to it, that doesn't mean I have less loyalty, pride or respect for the country I was born in, but I have grown to love and admire the one I'm currently in.

That's the thing, I'm not the only person that feels this way or is in a situations like this, there are many with the same or similar views and cases. There are 11.7 million undocumented immigrants who live in the U.S. who suffer, work and overall have a huge impact in this country, good or bad? Well that's up to you. For example, the growth of the economy will increase rapidly by giving citizenship to all immigrants who now work in the shadows, millions of people will now be able to come out feel safer to work. Secondly, the rate of deportation will decrease by getting rid of the criminals and giving those exemplary people who call the U.S their home, like myself, my family and others an opportunity to continue their lives. Thirdly, another important point is education, this is important because children who are born in the United States that have undocumented parents fear of deportation interrupts their education as well as makes them afraid of being separated from their families. According to the Pew Research Center, 76% agree that all immigrants who are undocumented should be eligible for citizenship, and I totally agree with that.

The reality is that the majority of immigrants crossing over to the United States are actually just searching for opportunity, we're hard working and determined, many of us can do various things if we're just allowed the chance to prove that. So I stand with the idea that those who've been here for a certain amount of time as exemplary residents not only deserve but have earned the right to be able to call themselves citizens.

With the utmost respect,

Giselle Mendoza

John Henry Francis Polytechnic High School

Honors English 10 A / Period 4

Sophomore English class in the magnet program of John H. Francis Polytechnic High School in Sun Valley, California.