Jaime M. California

As a queer person...

...I am forced to conform to my birth-assigned gender ...I don't want to face rejection ...I need representation of the LGBT+ community.

As a queer person, I am forced to use the girls' restroom. As an agender person born female, I have to use the girls’ room in order to avoid being kicked out of the boys’. At first glance, however, some wouldn’t guess that I’m female, but sooner or later, you’d figure it out, whether it be my voice, my small, barely (yet still) noticeable breasts, my behavior, or something of the like. Some people know from the start that I’m female without me saying or doing anything. And that’s something I’m scared of if I ever use the boys’ restroom. So, I use what I've become acquainted over the years since birth. The women's restroom. I haven't quite felt comfortable there since I've realized that I myself am not acquainted with my birth-assigned gender nor the other. The best option for me that I suppose would be a unisex bathroom. No one would say anything because anyone can use it. It wouldn’t, of course be a restroom with multiple stalls and toilets but a single-occupancy bathroom to avoid perversion. This wouldn’t be just for gender-queer people but for everyone to use.

As a queer person, I don't want to be kicked out of somewhere because of who I am. It may be because I am agender or because I am bisexual, but I have the right to be where I want to be. Even though I'm a California resident, I am concerned about the LGBT+ community in other places. In Texas, they make it hard for same-sex couples to get married ever since same-sex marriage became legal. Before, they weren't allowed to marry. It is perfectly legal to fire someone who married same-sex for displaying a wedding picture. Less than a third of the nation's states prohibit discrimination toward a person's sexual orientation. Only a handful of states prohibit discrimination toward a person's gender identity. Some restaurants in the south refuse to serve same-sex couples and kick them out. People are disowned or kicked out when they come out to their parents. According to Williams Institute, 40% of homeless youth identify as LGBT. The discrimination towards the LGBT+ community needs to stop. I want to know that I won't be discriminated against whenever I go anywhere.

As a queer person, I wish there were more LGBT representation in children's television and movies. When I was in elementary, I never knew that a person could be attracted to someone of the same gender. I didn't even know there was any gender out of the binary (male and female). I didn't know about LGBT+ until I made a Tumblr account in seventh grade. That's also when I started watching Glee on Netflix, where I got more familiar. The show’s diverse representation of the LGBT+ community made me really love the show. It had lesbian characters, bisexual characters, gay characters, transgender characters, and even genderqueer characters.Many kids feel that they are weird or wrong when they find out for the first time that they are queer. That's because they've never been exposed to anything like it. On some TV channels directed to a younger audience, a show that showcases any homosexuality might get canceled. TV shows should maybe at least have one LGBT+ character. Especially those directed towards kids. Children should be familiar to the LGBT+ community so that they know that it's not weird to be queer.

John Henry Francis Polytechnic High School

Honors English 10 B / Period 3

Sophomore English class in the magnet program of John H. Francis Polytechnic High School in Sun Valley, California.