Vina California

Banning Puppy Mills

Banning mass breeding facilities can not only decreases the amount of companion animals euthanized, but also give them a chance to find a loving home.

Approximately 7.6 million companion animals are left without a home each year. Of the 7.6 million, 2.7 million are euthanized. The number of companion animals without homes and are surely to be euthanized can drastically decrease if puppy mills, among many other mass breeding of companion animals, were to be banned. 

In the United States alone, there are an estimated value of 10,000 puppy mills (both licensed and unlicensed facilities). These mills breeds over 2 million puppies every year. 0.8 million puppies are sold leaving 1.2 million puppies euthanized. More than half the production of puppies are killed off instead of being adopted. Why are we breeding more than we can take care of?

It is disheartening to know that these mass breeding facilitates are legal in many states. If licensed and meet the requirements of animal housing, the facilities can keep companion animals in cages for their entire lives. 

By banning these facilities, we can help prevent the over populating issue of companion animals and evening out the ratio between them and pet owners. 

Please give your attention to our companion animals and ban mass breeding facilities. 

Vina Nguyen