Steve Connecticut

The Major Problem

This letter to our next president is about a big problem in this country. Gun violence. This is a really big problem in the U.S because mass shootings happen all the time and nothing gets done about it.

Dear next President,

I am a concerned and worried citizen of the United States of America. As a soon to be voter in a couple years you should hear me out on what I have to say. Gun violence is not just a small thing we can push over and fix later. Gun violence needs to be acted on now. Don't be like Obama and have to give a speech every time one of these shootings occurred. It should be something that rarely happens, not a regular thing. Action needs to be taken on gun laws so not just anyone can own or acquire a firearm.

My purpose is to inform you on the major shootings that have gone on in the years, yet nothing has been changed. According Julia Jones and Eve Bower's article “American Deaths in Terrorism VS. Gun Violence in One Graph” published by CNN from 2001 to 2013 406,496 people died from firearms in the United States, yet overseas from 2001 to 2013 350 have died from firearms. This means that one country has 11,000 times the number of gun-related deaths than many countries overseas. This has to be stopped. From Dan Bilefsky, Austin Ramzy, and Ian Austin’s article “How Australia, Britain, and Canada Have Responded to Gun Violence” published by the New York Times. A shooting in 1996 that killed 35 and wounded 23 in Port Arthur, Tasmania, led to a tight restriction of guns, banning all automatic and semiautomatic rifles and shot guns. Yet when other countries do this it works. Why can't the U.S. do this? Why can't the United States ban guns that aren't necessary for citizen use? Why can't our government come together to make gun laws? Why do these mass shootings happen and we do nothing to prevent them in the future?

As our new president you should act now on this. Don't wait for another tragedy to happen. This must stop now. We must all work together, all 50 states, to come together and find a way to end this problem of mass shootings. Bring all 50 states together. Come up with a plan to end these horrific shootings. Enforce gun laws and ban unnecessary firearms. I hope this has persuaded you to do something and act now on this.

Sincerely Concerned Citizen 

Greenwich High School

English Lit and Comp 3

Eng Lit and Comp 3