Bernice V. Nevada

Cost of Tuition

Many students from low-income families cannot afford a college education.

The key aspect discussed when covering the subject of college education is cost. Many inquire why it is so expensive and what can be done to change these drastic changes. This subject matter has roused a plethora of debates, and has impassioned me to write this letter to such a stupendous person as yourself. 

Being born of an immigrant mother, I grew up in an unprivileged neighborhood, and college seemed to be out of the picture. There are people that believe that the cries of the lower-class are but the cries of lazy bottom-feeding humans, but I can guarantee you that, in most cases, that is inaccurate. My mother, along with other immigrants in my family, is the most hard working person I have ever met. We lower-class bodies work and work but cannot thrive because we do not have the resources. We, as a Nation, need to help one another succeed and that starts with education. 

Colleges are progressively getting more, and more expensive due to the fact that it has become a competition to see who has the best campus. We have become a materialistic country, but opulence should not matter to us as much as our intelligence. We have lost our desire to be the very best country in the world, and I’m talking more than just materialistically. In 2015, the OECD ranked the educational systems and the United States ranked 29th while Canada ranked 10th. What is Canada doing differently? In an article, written by the New York Times, they said that, “American school districts rely far too heavily on property taxes, which means districts in wealthy areas bring in more money than those in poor ones. State tax money to make up the gap usually falls far short of the need in districts where poverty and other challenges are greatest.” 

In Canada’s best performing states, Ontario, British Columbia, and Alberta, they have developed formulas to determine how much money a district will receive, based on the district’s needs. This formula helps distribute the money equally and not cluster it all in the wealthier districts. An equal distribution of money helps all of our education systems because, as found in an article on campusriot.com, only 66% of students with parents concerned about finances applied to college, while 90% of students with parents not at all concerned with finances applied to college. These statistics are not fair to those of us who are not financially stable enough but want to better our lives.

I want you to think about us lower-class persons that want a better future, not just for ourselves but for our country. Many will argue that if we lower the cost of tuition, we will have to get that money elsewhere, and yes that might mean that we have to increase taxes a bit but in helping more people obtain degrees, that itself will stimulate economic growth. In an article written in the Birkley Blog they said that, “It is presumed by zero-tuition enthusiasts that free tuition will go hand-in-hand with lessening income inequality in the United States; in fact, it will mean the exact opposite. Fewer low-income students will be able afford the full cost of going to college.” If we want a better country, then we need to start reforming our education system, be it by taxing or simply helping out the lower class with more opportunities for a better future. We need to provide equal opportunities. The wealthy basically have their schooling paid for, we need to provide subsidies, and scholarships for the lower class students that are working to better their quality of life. 

The working class cannot be forgotten because they are the backbone to our country. We work and do the jobs that are crucial but the wealthy do not want to do. We cannot forget about the children of our construction workers, maids, gardeners, etc. We are one nation, and we all matter.

Sincerely, Bernice Valli.

Works Cited:

@SurvivinCollege. "Infographic: The Side Effects of College Costs | Surviving College." Campus Riot. N.p., 14 Feb. 2014. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

"Why Other Countries Teach Better." The New York Times. The New York Times, 17 Dec. 2013. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

By StateThe Best Education Systems In The World In 2015How to Save Money on CigarettesLargest Forex Brokers by Volume in 2016Forex Brokers with Debit CardsForex Brokers Offering Mastercard Debit CardsWhy You Shouldn’t Buy An Electric Car. "The Best Education Systems In The World In 2015 | Fair Reporters." Fair Reporters RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

"Free College Tuition Would Only Increase Inequality." The Berkeley Blog. N.p., 29 Feb. 2016. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Damonte Ranch High School

2nd Period

11th and 12th grade students. Dramatic Literature.