Madison L. Wisconsin

Lowering College Tuition

College tuition keeps rising, making it difficult for students to afford to further their education.

Dear Mr/Mrs. President, 

College tuition is a topic that is on every college student's mind. The cost of college has become outrageous and students are leaving college with high amounts of debt. Some students can’t even afford college, which is something that shouldn’t even be happening. Every person in the United States who wants to go to college should be able to have the opportunity to without leaving with enormous amounts of debt. According to projectsonstudentdebt.org, 69% of college seniors graduated with $28,950 in debt in 2015. Meanwhile, unemployment for college graduates in 2015 was at 8.5% even with the improving economy. This means approximately one of every 11 graduate students don't have jobs. How are graduates that don’t have jobs, supposed to pay back their debt? The answer is simple, they can’t. Leaving college without a job and with that much debt is setting them up to fail.

With all the money that college students are paying for college, you would think they would get a phenomenal education and be able to find a job after college. Colleges are more worried about getting kids to come to their school than they are giving them a quality education. Colleges are beginning to get pools, spas, rock climbing walls, and many more expensive unnecessary things. When students are graduating and not being able to find jobs and leaving college with a high amounts of debt, shouldn’t they spend more of their money on giving the students a quality education and ensuring job opportunities after graduation?

The government needs to fix this. They need to make sure school is affordable for everyone. There are many kids who work hard and are very smart but they can’t afford college. It’s not fair to those kids who want a college education but can’t afford it. 

College is supposed to be the best time of your life, but when some kids can’t afford college that’s a problem. When students that are graduating aren’t being able to get jobs after college, something has to be done. I believe that if the government can lower the cost of college, more students who are willing to learn will be able to make a difference in the world. 

Madison