Aolani M. Washington

Women deserve better treatment and rights

In order to protect the well being of women, We deserve equal pay, the right to be heard, and control over our body and decisions.

I know there are so many other things to be worrying about. One that truly affects me is Women’s Rights. Women's rights are one of many issues in this corrupt society. Being a women has always had its issues. From gender roles to equality, it's always been “your a girl you can't do that”. Us women are always judged because of our gender, looks, or skin color. I remember sitting on my uncle's lap as a little girl, until one day my father told me not to sit on his lap any more. I was raised to be proper, being told to sit with my legs closed. As a little girl I was forced to mature early. I was forced to be distant and in a way isolated because my father's biggest fear is me getting pregnant. Women are obligated to be covered up and be “ladylike”. The way the world is today women have to behave or dress a certain way because they are women. This is very unjustified because we aren't able to express or wear whatever we want. We aren't getting the treatment, pay or rights we deserve.Violence against women, the wage gap between genders, and the lack of abortion rights are issues that need to be resolved to bring the United States closer to gender equality.

Something that has been going on for many years is violence against women such as rape, domestic violence, and all assaults against women. This is a very big issue because it is very unheard of and kept in secret. People tend to walk past this and really not care about it. But we should care because any violence against women can affect the mental and physical health of women. According to The Huffington Post, “ Back in Santa Clara County Superior Court, Judge Aaron Persky presided over the trial of Brock Turner, who was convicted of intent to commit rape, sexual penetration with a foreign object of an intoxicated person and sexual penetration with a foreign object of an unconscious person. Turner faced up to 14 years in prison. The victim read her deeply personal, 7,000-word statement in court. But it seemed that Judge Persky was moved more by an appeal from Turner’s father, who wrote that he didn’t think Brock’s life should be ruined for “20 minutes of action.”Stating that “a prison sentence would have a severe impact on him,” Persky sentenced Turner to just six months’ jail time with probation.” This is not justified or okay in anyway. Privileged men aren't getting the punishment they deserve for the actions they take. It is your responsibility to ensure that more laws like these are enacted and enforced because women deserve to have their voices heard, and these criminals deserve to be punished for these horrible offenses that can damage a woman’s mental and physical health for her whole life.

Another issue seen in the United States today is the gender wage gap. We see no reason for women to be paid less for equal work. The wage gap has existed for as long as wages have existed, and it is time to change that. According to huffington post A woman makes about 79 cents to the dollar of her male counterpart. A women’s average annual earnings are roughly half those of men, estimated at $10,778, versus $19,873. Women have to work twice as hard and longer in order to get equal pay as men. It is clear to us, that men and women should be paid equally for equal work.

The last issue i'll be addressing is abortion rights. They are extremely important. Women should have control over their own bodies and lives; their personal choices shouldn’t be regulated by decisions made primarily by men. Even if abortion is illegal, women will continue to get them, but they will become more unsafe. According to New york times “Thirty-seven states do not provide abortion funding for poor women's abortions. And 32 of these won't even fund abortions for poor women who become pregnant as a result of rape or incest, or in cases of a severely deformed fetus”. Meaning even if women are sexually assaulted, they still won't allow abortions. Our country needs to protect the wellbeing of women, but also protect their rights through the implementation of safe, legal abortion.

A way we can resolve Violence against women, the wage gap between genders, and the lack of abortion rights is by protecting the wellbeing of women, men and women should be paid equally for equal work, and give women the right to have their voices heard. Future president, please be sure to remember the women by granting them equality in the workforce and combating the wage gap between the genders.

Aolani Medrano, Wa

Foster High School

Nohl's 1st period Civics

First period class.