Danielle Greene Alabama

Paid Leave

I believe paid leave should be required for child birth and serious illnesses of a family member or close friend.

I strongly believe that businesses should be required to provide paid leave for full-time employees during the birth of a child or a sick family member. These type of incidents are very expensive and when you're sick it usually happens unexpectedly. Woman need paid leave for during their time of maternity so that they will still be able to pay for the expenses of having a baby, especially considering the fact that after the baby is born, their hours may be cut short due to the priorities of taking care of a newborn baby. Moms tend to be the caregivers to sick children more than dads and women with the least access to paid leave of any kind are in fact the least educated and lowest paid women. 

Spending time with someone who is in a critical state may cause you to miss work, but illnesses aren't planned and when someone is sick you never know what could happen. Many people miss out on spending precious minutes with a sick loved one because they really can't miss work, or they can't afford to lose the money. According to the Family and Medical Leave Act, businesses are supposed to provide certain employees with up to 12 workweeks of unpaid, job protected leave a year. This qualifies for a serious health condition, child birth, adoption, or caring for someone with a health condition. I do believe that in certain circumstances this shouldn't to everybody, but overall in most cases it should.

Danielle