Nick E. Texas

Capital Punishment

Dear Mr/Madam President the death penalty is an issue that is highly disputed in the US. While there are many people for it, there is also a large amount of negativity. There are thirty three states that the death penalty is legal and seventeen states that have it’s not. I believe the death penalty should be legal throughout the nation. The reasons why I think that the death penalty should be legalized in all states, including deterrence, retribution, and morality and because opposing arguments do not hold up. The use of capital punishment greatly deters citizens from committing crimes such as murder. Many people’s greatest fear is death, so if they know that death is a possible punishment for their actions, they are less likely to commit a crime. And the death penalty is the only penalty that could deter prisoners already serving a life sentence. The death penalty also carries out retribution justly. Deserved punishment protects society morally by restoring this just order, making the criminal pay a price equivalent to the harm he has done. When someone commits a crime it disturbs the order of society, these crimes take away lives, peace, and liberties from society. Giving the death penalty as a punishment that restores society. Retribution also serves justice for murder victims and their families. Some may see this as revenge, but this retribution is not motivated by malice, but it is motivated by the need for justice. The death penalty puts the scales of justice back in balance. The eighth amendment to the United States Constitution prevents cruel and unusual punishment. Many opponents of capital punishment say that execution is cruel and unusual punishment and isn't constitutional. As was stated earlier, the recipient of the death penalty is treated humanely and is not tortured in any way. After the anesthetic is administered the person feels no pain; the only part of the process that could be considered painful is when the IV is inserted, but that is done in hospitals every day, and no one is calling it unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has repeatedly upheld the death penalty as constitutional. Capital punishment can be a difficult topic to approach because people tend to have different views on it. The death penalty is an asset to society it deters potential criminals as well as serves retribution to criminals.. The arguments against the death penalty often do not hold up when examined more closely. It is important that the nation is united on this issue, rather than having some states use capital punishment while others do not. The death penalty can be an extremely good in sentencing criminals that have committed some of the worst crimes known to society. It is important that we begin to pass legislation making capital punishment legal throughout the United States so that justice can be served properly.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.