Sunny Idaho

Reduce Pollution

Though the government is trying, the amount of pollution still increases harmfully.

In the US, CO2 emissions have increased by 10% between 1999 and 2011. And it is expected to rise another 39% by 2030, according to Eileen Shim, a writer graduated from Yale University. The government has organizations like the Environmental Protection Agency and also partners with other countries to reduce emissions worldwide. Despite that, pollution is still an issue. It is estimated that 5.5 million people die from this cause. So the government needs to do more to prevent future deaths from pollution.

There are several types of pollution; air, water, noise, soil, and light pollution. Most of these are caused by our inventions. In the article “Environmental Pollution and its Effects” from the website UCEE, it states, “ injurious smoke emitted by cars, buses, trucks, trains and factories,” and “Noise pollution include aircraft noise, noise of cars, buses, and trucks, vehicle horns, loudspeakers, and industry noise, as well as high-intensity sonar effects which are extremely harmful to the environment.”  All the objects creating pollution are made from our factories which also dispose toxic waste and greenhouse gases. So if we can shut some of them off and decrease the smoke and noise created it will greatly contribute to the environment. 

As stated before, 5.5 million die prematurely every year for breathing in toxic. The toxins in the air comes from various places, some of it comes from soil. Soil pollution , or soil contamination, has a number of harmful effects on the environment. “It lessens the amount we can feed to our booming population,” the article "Soil pollution from Everything Connects” comments. Toxins in the soil can also damage plants in habitats, which will lead to less animals because of the lessened amount of food provided. That will keep going up the food chain until it reaches us. (If we don't die of not enough oxygen first) The soil also naturally contributes to air pollution by releasing volatile compounds into the atmosphere.

The government needs to close more factories that releases toxic and greenhouse gases, and more pollution preventing agencies like the Environmental Protection agency. That way more people can live a long, comfortable life rather than a short one. Their money should be spent according to their personal wants/needs and not wasted on more medical bills.

SG

East Junior High

Period Seven

Period 7 letters