Sammy T. California

An End to Animal Cruelty

Animal cruelty has been a constant issue, and the time has come for this problem to stop.

Why is it that so many worldwide issues, like animal cruelty, are being overlooked? Animal cruelty is a worldwide epidemic and needs to be stopped because dogs are being treated unfairly and are used for profit rather than their well-being.

Puppy mills are overall bad places because they put dog’s in bad situations. A puppy mill is a large dog breeding facility where profit is a priority rather than the good of dogs. Dog’s are placed in terrible conditions and are given little food, water, socialization, and bad health care. They live their lives in small cages often stacked in columns The ASPCA says, “When female breeding dogs reach a point of physical depletion and can no longer reproduce, they are often killed” (What Is a Puppy Mill?). Since puppy mills only focus on profit, the dogs are at a high rate to acquire respiratory, blood, and heart disease. Since the puppies are taken away at eight weeks, they suffer problems with anxiety and behavior. From a personal perspective, I have been to countless pet stores and have seen tiny puppies kept in small glass boxes, isolated from everything. To end puppy mills, don’t buy a puppy from a pet store or any online large breeding facility. Before planning on buying a puppy, contact the breeder. Above all, look into adopting before you plan to buy a dog.

Dog fighting is one of the worst forms of animal cruelty because it makes dog’s fight against their own will. Dog fighting is when people make dogs fight and bet money on which one will win. Fighting dogs are kept isolated on short, heavy chains. Dogs are put on steroids and other drugs to make them better fighters. “Fighting dogs may have their ears cropped and tails docked close to their bodies to minimize the animal’s normal body language cues and to limit areas that another dog can grab during a fight” (The Criminal, Underground World of Dog Fighting). These alterations are normally done in an inhumane and cruel way. I have seen a dog at a shelter that was a rescued victim from a fight. The dog’s face had scars on it and its ears were all torn up. It was a terrible sight. Dog fighting is illegal in all of the United States, but it continues to happen. “Fights can last just a few minutes or several hours, and both animals may suffer injuries including puncture wounds, lacerations, blood loss, crushing injuries and broken bones” (The Criminal, Underground World of Dog Fighting). To help put a stop to dog fighting, donate to the ASPCA. Your donation will help give the supplies they need to rescue more dogs.

Show breeders cannot supply enough purebred puppies that people want because they only produce a few liters in a year. Puppy mills are sometimes seen as helpful because they bring an abundance of purebred puppies waiting to be sold. They give families the dogs they have wanted without having to wait long periods of time. “I found ads for Akitas, Chinese Crested, Dogue De Bordeaux, and many other breeds once rare that used to have long waiting lists for puppies” (Andrews). Puppy mills benefit pet stores by supplying them with puppies. Dog fighting is similar to a competitive combat sport. The fight is stopped once one dog has showed dominance. “The dogs are usually allowed to heal before they fight again. In many ways, these dogs are like the Mike Tyson's and Joyce Gracie's that we worship” (Dog Fighting). Dogs in shelters spend a majority of their day in a cage, so they may as well be treated well and be well-fed before they fight. Nevertheless, both dog fighting and puppy mills place dogs in bad environments when they could have a chance in becoming a member of a loving home.

Dogs across the world are being treated unfairly and are being used for money rather than the loving figure they are seen as. Puppy mills and dog fights are just two of many examples of animal cruelty. There are thousands of animals that need your help. By donating to any animal or rescue center, you could help dogs in need. If you think a four legged friend is needed in your life, consider adopting one into your family. It is up to us to stop animal cruelty.

Thank you, 

Sammy

Andrews, Cheryl. "The Argument for Puppy Mills." TheDogPress.com. N.p., 19 Aug. 2011. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

"Dog Fighting (See Initial Argument)." Debate Argument:. N.p., 25 Dec. 2013. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

"The Criminal, Underground World of Dog Fighting." ASPCA. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

"What Is a Puppy Mill?" ASPCA. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.         

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8