Kaitlyn F. California

Hunger Games

World wide hunger is becoming more of a problem as Earth develops and improves. Two main issues for hunger are poverty along with food prices. Stop hunger across the whole world now!

Earth creates more than enough food for all the humans living on Earth. Sadly, someone out of eight sleeps on a hungry stomach during the night. Additionally, one in nine people during the day barely eat any food each day. Additionally, children and adults are underweight due to the lack of food they are capable of consuming daily. Hunger can be almost impossible to afford for someone living in the United States or in third world countries; for example, in Africa almost 525.6 million people are starving and in Asia around 214 million people are hungry. Hunger also can occur when someone is living in poverty. Millions of helpless people experience hunger worldwide due to poverty and food prices.

Poverty is a huge problem across the world considering the lack of food that enters people's bodies. Poverty, “the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support”, according to Dictionary.com. Living in Poverty is a harsh status to be in. People, 896 million, in advancing countries live off of less than one dollar and ninety cents a day. Poverty is a rough place to be in as a child as twenty-two children every single day die of being hungry in poverty. There is one solution from Poverty.com, “For adults, there are “food for work” programs where the adults are paid with food to build schools, dig wells, make roads, and so on. This both nourishes them and builds infrastructure to end the poverty. For children, there are “food for education” programs where the children are provided with food when they attend school. Their education will help them to escape from hunger and global poverty.”

Food prices are a main reason for hunger since food is becoming more expensive and less affordable for all people. Food prices can spike at any moment; therefore, many people buy the cheapest item that is closest to what is wanted. By buying the cheapest item it actually is less healthy and substantial. High food prices make it very difficult for some people to get the nutrients that are needed to live a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, outrageous prices on food greatly impact children. Sorrowfully, the poorest humans on Earth spend around sixty to eighty percent of their money on food; thus, when prices are raised, it is difficult to buy other necessities which include clothing, medicine, shelter, etc.

A possible solution to end hunger is to make a community garden using GMOs. GMO stands for genetically modified organisms. By using GMOs, crops could be modified to live in harsh and/or dry climates. Making a community garden could give food to those who need it most. Also, the garden would provide the right nutrients to people who are hungry. People who are fortunate enough to have food in their stomachs could teach the people about healthy eating and how GMOs would work to help with their needs.

A common argument against this position is that there is no room to put in the garden; however, by putting a garden in the community people will have more healthy foods to choose from. The community garden would be perfect next to a quiet home in a large pasture because there is enough shade and sunlight, so the plants will grow correctly. Additionally, if the crops have the right amount of everything, they will survive and grow a little faster; therefore, consumption will be faster. The garden would have substantial foods including lettuce, tomatoes, spices, etc. Traffic could be a concern for some people, nonetheless by putting the new crops in a field, people are able to come as they please. Hence, there will not be any hesitations about traffic in the garden area since people will not come all at once.

All in all, hunger is a ginormous issue world wide. Poverty and food prices are the main reasons for hunger, but there is a possible solution to ending hunger almost completely. A resolution could be making a community garden with many of healthy options. How can you help to make a difference? What will you do to help eliminate hunger?

Thanks for reading,

Kaitlyn

Food Programme - Fighting Hunger Worldwide." What Causes Hunger? | WFP | United Nations World Food Programme - Fighting Hunger Worldwide. World Food Programme, 2016. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

"Dictionary.com - The World's Favorite Online Dictionary!" Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, LLC., 2016. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

"Hunger and World Poverty." Poverty.com -. Poverty.com, Nov. 2016. Web.05 Nov. 2016.

"Know Your World: Facts About World Hunger & Poverty." The Hunger Project Know Your World Facts About Hunger and Poverty Comments. The Hunger Project, 2009. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

Robbins, John. "Can GMOs Help End World Hunger?" Food Revolution Network. Food Revolution Network, 06 May 2016. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

"Thesaurus.com - The World's Favorite Online Thesaurus!" Thesaurus.com. Dictionary.com, LLC., 2016. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

"UN World Food Programme." How High Food Prices Affect The World's Poor. World Food Programme, 04 Sept. 2012. Web. 05 Nov. 2016. 

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8