Jasmine B. Pennsylvania

Letter to President

September 26, 2016 Dear Next President, Imagine if you or someone in your family / friend gets racist rude comments, harsh treatment, faces violent situations, or gets bashed for being the race they are you would want to speak out as well. Many people face racism in everyday life, but not all racism is obvious. Racism exists in schools and the workforce which causes minorities to not get equal opportunities. With the increase of problems by racism in the USA, people feel belittled, unworthy, unwanted, and “less than” others. This issue is especially true in schools and the work force and must be addressed in the next few years so that problems are reduced, everyone knows their worth, and can go wherever and not be ashamed. “Public school students of color get more punishment and less access to veteran teachers than their white peers”. Also, “From 2011, the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, EOOC has received 99,947 charges of discrimination on employment”. The US is the major country with the highest amount of problems surrounding racism. Everyone is affected by racism although African Americans are affected more than any other race. This is such an important issue in America because if it doesn’t seek to get a changed made everything will continue to get worser. This also affects people/children who attend school. It affects them because they receive different treatment in mean odd ways. It also affects people in certain work places because they tend to get overlooked at or not in the category for what certain places want to hire. Some solutions that already exist for racism is the Civil Rights Act and “affirmative action”. The Civil Rights Act outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Although, the Civil Rights Act is helpful, it still happens everyday nonstop. Affirmative action is an action/policy favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination, also in relation to employment or education; positive discrimination. As well as “affirmative action” often is a good solution more things need to be done to help solve this issue. In addition to racism having a few solutions, African Americans never even get “heard” about the things they face because of it or how it has affected them in some sort of way. Dear Next President, please listen to the major problem around the world and help put an end to it. Create a law that states you can get in serious trouble for being racist, have an executive order, and provide funding for various programs. The president should provide funding for programs that help with discrimination in schools and the workforce. Sincerely, Jasmine B.

Thank you.