Elizabeth A. California

Letter to Donald Trump

I'm a student at Aptos and currently writting this in Mr. Leeper's Ethnic Studies class. We have been talking about the election for the past week now and now we are making a letter to the next president, Donald J. Trump. My main focus is going to be about how deportation and immigration affects us all and my own family.

I'm a student here at Aptos Middle School and I wrote this letter in Mr.Leeper's Ethnic Studies class so that the POTUS can read and hear me out about my concerns. Both my parents are Mexican but had me here in the U.S.  After High School, I'm going to collage and start a career so that I could win money and help my family with their needs. 

The reason why I'm writing this letter is to inform the POTUS about my concerns. Both of my parents are undocumented and struggle to live here just so that my sisters and I could have a good future. The reason why I care about this is becuse there are some bad outcomes if my parents get deported. 

First of all, I might get separated from my parents. My parents have always taken good care of my sisters and I, so for us to be separated from them would feel the same as to not being able to see them again at all. My mom has told me that if anything does happen to them, one of my aunts will take us in and take care of us but, to me that wouldn't be the same . This also goes to other families like mine, who have undocumented family members and have to be separated from each other. 

Another way this could affect my family and my community is, If we do get the chance to stay with our family but have to move away from the United States back to Mexico, life wouldn't be the same for many of us. Since we don't make so much money, dropping out of school is going to be the only choice I have. Over there, you have to pay for school in order to get in, and my mom already said to me that I wouldn't be able to go to school. My chances of having a good future wouldn't happen If my family gets deported.

Mr. Trump, I hope you don't take this lightly and start to pay more attention to the effects of your doings. This doesn't just include deportation and immigration, but also other issues such as, education reform, terrorism/ national security, criminal justice reform, gender equality, and income inequality/jobs. All of these issues are a big part of our economy and society. 

Away to keep things form getting out of hand is to look at how the law you will pass on, would affect your nation. For example, if you start deporting all of these people, who will work for you? How are you going to have allies if you send all these people away like pests? A way to prevent this from happening is to let people in the country and let them have their papers and documents. Most people come here to have a better life from the one they had back in their own country but how will they do that if they live in fear of the leader and the leader's people.

Sincerely, Elizabeth.

Aptos Middle School

Ethnic Studies @ Aptos Middle School

After the presidential election students in my Ethnic Studies classes were teeming with emotions, questions, and responses. I decided that Letters to the Next President was a great forum for them to be able to emote, pose those questions, and tell Donald J. Trump the kind of president they want him to be.