Phoebe L. California

Affordable College

The government should help pay for colleges because the overwhelming majority of students struggle financially.

Dear Mr/Madam President

First and foremost, congratulations! You’ve made it!

As the next President of the United States, I hope you can do more to help solve the issues of modern Americans, specifically American students. The overwhelming majority of high school seniors are in a tight spot when it comes to figuring out how to pay for college. I understand higher levels of education requires funding, but asking every student to pay tens of thousands of dollars is absolutely mind boggling. I have personally met bright and intelligent students that say they simply can’t afford college, and I get it. Tuition, books, housing, food… All these expenses are expected come from our parent’s pockets, who can barely afford their own bills. 

I believe that everyone should be able to get the education they desire for a lesser and affordable price. By raising taxes on the top 1%, it would allow the government to fund public and private institutions. There are 6 countries in the world that provide virtually free college tuition. And statistically, they are shown to be higher-ranked in education level and happiness. America is known to be the wealthiest country in the world, however the wealth distribution is strikingly skewed, that the majority of people are now considered lower and middle class. We need to invest in the students of today’s world. Students are 20% of the population, but 100% of the future.