Noah M. Ohio

Conversion Therapy

Now that you have been recently elected into office there is an awful method I would like to discuss with you called conversion therapy A.K.A reparative therapy.

It is a dangerous procedure that falsely claims to change someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Because of sexual discrimination practitioners continue to conduct conversion therapy. Minors are especially vulnerable to these methods as they cause awful side effects.

The article “Love Will Conquer Hate” revealed to me that only a few states have fully banned conversion and others have introduced the ban but haven’t fully banned it. While those few states have either banned it or introduced the ban majority of the states have yet to even introduce the ban let alone fully ban it. Basically conversion therapy is usually controlled shocks to the hands and/or genitals, but it can also include such things as: nausea inducing drugs, chemical castration, homerotic stimuli, and masturbatory reconditioning. The results of such procedures can be: depression, anxiety, drug use, homelessness, and suicide. Samuel Brinton is a prime example of these methods.

Such methods as this need to be illegalized everywhere instead of only a few states. Because as the number of the LGBTQ members rise the number of people who are going to want to perform methods such as this is also going to rise. Also after it has been illegalized anybody who attempt to conduct these awful methods need to be punished severely for their crimes. Finally there needs to be help for the victims such as a help hotline or a rehabilitation program that the victims can willingly take.

Finally I’ll restate once more that not only is conversion therapy wrong it is also is very dangerous and it needs to be stopped, and the conductors of it need to be severely punished. Now that I’ve pleaded my case to you I hope that you will take my words into consideration when you read this, because this truly is an issue that need to be attended to.

Noah Middlebrook