Vincent W. Washington

Police brutality.

lost lives caused by racism needs to end.

Dear future Mr. or Ms. President,

Do you think minorities being shot by police is okay? The issue is police brutality, And it happens mainly to minorities. People should care about this issue because it’s terrible that unarmed people are being shot by the police and if people value human life they will care about this. My claim is that police brutality against minorities people is a major issue in America.

My first point is that victims are usually unarmed when killed by police. I know this because an online news company, called AOL., cites a statistic that “Black Americans are more than twice likely to be unarmed when killed during police encounters than whites” (AOL). This evidence shows that minorities are being killed even though they are unarmed.

My second point is that the way we organize society is biased against minorities. An online news website, called The Huffington Post, cites a statistic that “Police Brutality Against Black Men, Plausible Outcome of Structural Racism” (The Huffington Post). This evidence shows that my point is true, it is significant because it shows that Police brutality effects minorities mostly.

While this may not be very important to some, people may say that police brutality is the victim’s fault and not all about the police. This source says so: (Brooks, Rosa. "America’s Police Problem Isn’t Just About Police | Foreign ..." N.p., 5 Jan. 2016. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.) On the other hand in reality, It is not their fault, it is the police fault because they are ignorant, they have the weapons and the power.

I strongly believe that police brutality is something that needs to stop. Because people’s lives are being taken and their families are losing their fathers because of this. Police need better education and need to know black lives matter.

Sincerely, Vincent Watson

Brooks, Rosa. "America’s Police Problem Isn’t Just About Police | Foreign ..." N.p., 5

Jan. 2016. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

Pitts, Leonard, Jr. "Leonard Pitts, Jr.: Police Brutality Not Just a 'black' Problem."

Miami Herald. N.p., 28 July 2015. Web. 11 Oct. 2016.

Minneapolis Police Officers Will Not Be Disciplined for Fatal Shooting." THE

ASSOCIATED PRESS, 21 Oct. 2016. Web. 25 Oct. 2016. 

West Seattle High School

1st block

1st and 2nd period