Alissa J. Washington

Crime Rates In America

Reducing Crime in America to help people stay safe.

You were elected into the office by the people. Without the people, you would not be where you are today. I want to tell you how crime rates have gone up dramatically. Now i know you are not super powerful and you can't end all the crimes in the world but i believe you can do something to make a difference in the world.

Have crime rates gone up or down?

They have gone up. Especially terrorist attacks, I believe this needs to stop. According to data retrieved from the Centers for Disease Control, “there were 7 firearm-related homicides for every 100,000 Americans in 1993. By 2013 which was the most recent year available, the gun homicide rate had fallen by nearly 50 percent to only 3.6 homicides per 100,000 population”(Archibald).

Is teenage crime growing bigger than adult crime?

Teenage crime is a very important problem that the United States is facing these days. Teenage crime is a name given to the crimes that are committed by people who are under the age of 18. “About 20% of all violent crimes are committed by children under the age of eighteen. During the early 1990's a rapid increase was led by many states to change their juvenile justice laws to place more violent juvenile offenders on trial as adults. Juveniles were involved in 17% of all violent crimes and 35% of all rapes and 14% of all aggravated assaults involved juveniles.”(Cooke). All these rates prove that the United States is facing a very serious problem that needs to be solved. Crimes committed mostly by teenagers include theft, assaults on other teenagers, gang violence, and even murder.

Crime is a good thing. It really can be.

Imagine this, a world without crime. On the surface, it sounds rather nice, doesn't it? However, think of some of the implications that this may have. It either means we've successfully recreated a powerful totalitarian dictatorship greater than the ones depicted in 1984, which would be rather unfavorable; people have just stopped committing crimes out of their own volition; or all laws have been. “When there is crime it gives the world a balance. Without crime the world would be weird and everyone would be sheltered.” (Hedgehog)

I hope that with your help, we can make America great again and we can do that with. I hope that we will be able to provide help to everyone who needs it. I hope that we will make America a great place to live a place that we would be happy to leave for our children and theirs.

Lichtblau, Eric, and Monica Davey. "Homicide Rates Jump in Many Major U.S. Cities, New Data Shows." The New York Times. The New York Times, 13 May 2016. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Cooke, Charles CW. "Careful with the Panic: Violent Crime and Gun Crime Are Both Dropping." National Review. National Review, 30 Nov. 2015. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Hedgehog, BlackHole H. "Crime Is a Good Thing." Youth Debates. Youth Debates, 27 Dec. 2015. Web. 01 Nov. 2016.