Abimael D. Minnesota

Dear Next President

Letter to the next president of the United States of America.

Dear next President

I think that you should fix the migration of Cubans to the United States since when Cubans come to the United States, if they don't touch dry land, they are taken back to Cuba. Most of them die on their way here and they leave Cuba because of how bad it is there for them and their families.

When a Cuban person is caught by the coast guard before touching dry land, the coast guard takes them to jail where they will be waiting to get send back to have a miserable life in Cuba. They come so that they can support their families in Cuba and later on bring them here to have an amazing life. Most of them are caught with dry feet and for the “wet feet, dry feet” law they can't stay here. I know that law, because an uncle of mine tried to come through the ocean but died on its way here, and the friend that came with him told my family, and they explained the law of “dry feet , wet feet” and how he was able to stay because he had wet feet and wasn't caught with dry feet.

According to the article “Spotlight,” by Sylvia Rusin, Jie Zong, and Jeanne Batalova, 400,000 Cubans between 1990 and 2013 left and came to the United States for more opportunities and better education, but still most of the Cubans that came between 2013 and 2014 were caught and taken back to Cuba. Also most of the Cubans that come through the sea die of dehydration, hunger, and even sharks.

In the article “A New Crisis of Cuban Migration” By William M. Leograndedec, he says that when President Barack Obama went to Cuba, he said he was going to fix the relationship

between Cuba and the U.S. So that means that the “wet foot, dry foot” law may be changed or even removed.

You have to make it that Cubans caught in the sea, but close to land, can stay just like Cubans that touch land or sand, they should be allowed to stay in the United States, since they all come to escape Cuba and have a better life for them and their families.

Abimael Delgado