Gabrielle A. Florida

Our Nation

A letter to the future president of the United States regarding human trafficking.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. president,

My name is Gabrielle, and I hope you hear what I have to say. Though it seems that you and I are worlds apart; we both share a common love for our nation, and for the people within it. I admire your position, I respect your ideals, and I commend your tenacity. But while gun control, and immigration reform has remained at the top of your list of responsibilities – “repress human trafficking” has yet to even make the list. I’m not blindly begging you to singlehandedly subdue each and every trafficker; I am merely asking you to enforce a law – to hold a conference, to say something for the thousands of trafficked people who can’t.

According to the U.S Department of States, there are 600,000 to 800,000 men and women who are trafficked across our nation’s borders each year. This year, there will be 800,000 men and women who’ll be brutally stripped of the rights that our nation grants them – the rights that our nation promised them. Around Christmas, there’ll be 1,600,000 parents mourning because they’ve lost their child. I understand that you have obligations, and that according to the American public, there are more pressing issues, but what’s more important than defending the liberty of your citizens? Did you not swear to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States"? There are people who’re blatantly violating our nation’s constitution, and you’ve yet to protect those directly affected. Again, I respect each and every one of your decisions, and I am not asking you to complete an impossible task; I’m asking you to be the voice of the voiceless – to say something in an effort to maintain promises of our nation.

Regards,

Gabrielle