Natalee Georgia

The Death Penalty

Is the death penalty necessary?

As a teenager, I will be able to vote in the next 4 years. As a voter, I will elect a candidate who fixes the issues that affect me. I have a problem I would like you to address, if you want my vote, murder convicts.

Being the president, I’m sure you know that people have brutally murdered innocent victims and are a threat to the rest of the world, but I have a solution which can be optional to the convicts, the death penalty. The death penalty has been a serious issue for our country because we could never agree on a working solution, but now i have one. They should be able to chose if they want to be sentenced. Honestly a lot of convicts have nothing left to live for and that is why they did their crime, so why waste resources keeping a murderer alive.

I know a lot of people believe that by killing someone out of punishment is the same as murdering someone, but it's honestly not the same. We did not slaughter them like they did their victims. We do it in a calm and orderly fashion. I have to admit the electric chair was a little much, but now we have lethal injections. We won't watch them suffer as they did to their victims.

Murderers in jail pose a constant threat of escaping and harming other citizens. There is only a 76% chance they are contained and won't get out. There is still a huge lingering possibility that they can escape. 76% isn't enough to feel safe. As the president you should care about your citizens well being, and not have them fearful that someone may harm them.

There are still more reasons why they should be sentenced to death. Another is that, we are wasting resources on them. It's not like they are going to be let out of jail and be productive members of society when they are cooped up in a prison. So why are we feeding them plentiful meals? Many families whom are good people and would never commit such a crime are starving and living in conditions much worse than prison. We should use the money we are spending on the convicts and feed those unfortunate families. It has been proven that many people do their crimes because they are better off in prison.

“Six states have abolished the death penalty since 2007, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico,Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland.” State., By. "50 Facts About the Death Penalty." DPIC. Web. 13 Oct. 2016. New Mexico has the 4th highest crime rate of all the states. For them to abolish the death penalty is irrational. Alaska, surprisingly enough, has the highest rate of all and has also abolished the death penalty. The people do those crimes because they think that they won't have to pay for their crime in equal punishment. You can stop this!

Many people think that the death penalty isn't fair, but was it fair to murder innocent victims. Solve my problem and I'll vote for you. This is a serious issue that you need to address now! Sincerely,

Natalee