Jared P. Georgia

Gun laws and regulations

The news is full of stories of innocent people being needlessly shot and injured or killed. Guns are way too accessible to American citizens. Stricter gun laws should be put into place to prevent more shooting deaths from occurring.

Have you ever noticed that there is so much gun violence in our country? The news is full of stories of innocent people being needlessly shot and injured or killed. Guns are way too accessible to American citizens. Stricter gun laws should be put into place to prevent more shooting deaths from occurring.

There have been over 350 mass shootings in the US this year. In these shootings, four or more people have killed or injured by gunfire. The rate of deaths from guns in the US is notably higher than other wealthy nations. A survey was conducted by the Pew Research Center, asking what was more important: gun rights or gun ownership. 50% of the people surveyed said controlling gun ownership is more important, 47% said protecting gun rights was more important, and 3% were undecided. Even though the results were close, more people wanted to control gun ownership.

Some people might say that restricting or controlling gun ownership is a violation of the Second Amendment, which states that “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” But I believe that just as citizens are required to register each car they own, they should also be required to register each gun they own. And just as people must have a license showing that they are qualified to operate different types of cars, boats, airplanes, etc., they should also be required have a license proving that they are qualified to operate whatever type of gun they own. Documented mandatory training on each type of gun should be required prior to being allowed to purchase/own that gun. I also believe that military grade weapons should not be sold to civilians.

I hope that during your presidency, you will fight to enact stricter gun legislation to help make our streets safer. We, the People, are counting on you. Please take care of our country.

Jared