Caleb S. California

Environment > Us

We have polluted our environment and it's our job to stop it

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

The environment is a very important place. It is basically what is all around us, what keeps us alive, but why is it being tossed aside? Air pollution is a very serious problem. It causes about 7 million deaths worldwide yet nothing is working to prevent it. Air pollution can also create many unnecessary side effects, such as climate change. Trees live off of carbon dioxide in the process of photosynthesis, but there is a problem, we are cutting down these trees for either space or for supply and demand. This poses a huge problem to the environment because that means carbon dioxide is not being sucked in, and therefore is being stuck up there in the ozone layer trapping in heat due to the greenhouse effect. Global warming is what is happening here, meaning the earth itself is heating up, melting ice caps . Now because of the ice caps heating up, the sea level rises causing some floods in the process. Global warming can also cause droughts, making the production of food harder due to farms not being able to supply enough water to the plants drying them up. Air pollution, because of the many toxins and detrimental chemicals, can cause many deaths in the human population. The point I am trying to make here is that, we must protect our environment. This environment is the only one that we have and we are destroying it plentifully. A solution would be to simply save the trees or to reduce our carbon footprint in the world, there are tons of solutions, but we are almost doing nothing about it. Mr./Mrs. president, I urge you to save the environment, and inspire all of America to do the same.

John Henry Francis Polytechnic High School

Honors English 10 B / Period 3

Sophomore English class in the magnet program of John H. Francis Polytechnic High School in Sun Valley, California.