Danielle L. Michigan

Mental Health

Mental health is a serious problem effecting today's population. There needs to change.

I hope you're aware of the of the mental health problems we have in America. It is an ongoing underestimated problem that effects millions of people. There is an estimated 1 in 5 adults in the U.S (42.8 million,or 18.5%) experience,mental health illness in a given year. Another study showed that,one in five youth aged 13-18 (21.4%) experience a severe mental disorder at some point during their life, for children 8-15, the estimate is 13%. You would think with that amount of people, there would be a lot of mental health care available. Guess Again, 56% of American adult with mental disorders do not receive treatment. Even so, in Vermont, the state with the best access to mental health care, still has 43% of people who are not treated. Mental health is a very serious problem within today's population.

I myself suffer from anxiety, along with a majority of my friends. I myself and many others have experienced the dreadful amount of time it takes to get any support from a therapist. Unless it’s a life threatening time like suicide, you have a difficult time on finding a therapist to assist you. For most it maybe a few weeks of waiting in line for a therapist others might wait months. I myself, waited a month. During that month my panic attacks were becoming a everyday thing. But, I'm not the only one I have seen this happen to. I have experienced a majority of my friends go through the same things. Some are lucky to get through quick, others not so much. Due to the lack of therapist and psychiatrists, many people are at lack of mental health. There needs to be a change. Although we can not control the amount of mental health specialist, we can help educate and spread the idea of mental health. This could give people who are struggling with a mental illness an extra support than just a professional.

Although the cause of mental illnesses is unknown, researchers are developing a clear theory that mental illnesses are caused by a combination of genetic,biological,psychological and environmental factors. Personal weakness or a character defect do not play a part in mental illness. Even though the symptoms of mental health varies from mild to severe depending on the mental illness, a person with an untreated is unable to cope with the demands and routines of daily life. Although many people seem to think,mental health is not a matter of self discipline or will. With that reason, mental health should be brought forward into something important, and something to worry about

Many mental health issues cause disruptions on how people act, work, and deal with normal daily life activities. Many teens who suffer from a mental disorder such as depression, are at higher risk of suicide/suicidal thoughts. This can result in difficulty in school, and relationship issues. Many of these people are not getting the proper care they need to support them. Many can not afford the access for mental health care in all, but that is a topic for another letter.

I hope you can realize how serious mental health is , and how it affects people in the country. We need to bring more education about mental health into schools, and provide more support for those who are in need of mental health care. Many people such as America's youth and soldiers need support. Are you willing to give it to them?

A concerned student

"Mental Illness Symptoms, Treatment, Causes - Can Mental Illness Be Prevented? - MedicineNet." MedicineNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016

By Paul Gionfriddo, President and CEO. "Mental Health America." Mental Health America. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

Northview High School

2nd Hour

Mrs. PItt's 2nd hour 9th grade English students.