Janeen H. Michigan

Love is love

My name is Janeen Harlow, I am a 14 year old 9th grade student from Northview High School in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I was like to discuss with you the topic of same sex marriage.

Since same sex marriage has been legalized in all of the United States there has been a lot of controversy and talk on whether or not it was a good idea. I personally believe this was an amazing ruling by the Supreme Court. I totally agree with their way of thinking. In fact I have a lot of my close friends and some family members are a that part of the LGBTQ community. Therefore I hope that the newly elected President of the United States upholds the ruling of the Supreme Court.

In many parts across the globe same-sex marriage is looked down upon. Many states in the United States still don't agree or like same-sex marriage. No matter who you love, same gender or not, you should have the right to marry and be treated equally. In June of 2015 the US Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage is a right protected by the US Constitution in all 50 states. Prior to that decision same-sex marriage was legal in 37 States and DC but was banned in the 13 other states. In November of 2008 California had passed number 8 that removed the right to marry same sex couples. 52.24 percent of California's population voted yes to eliminate rights of same-sex couples to marry. Consequently his set back the right of many Americans in pursuing their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

People may argue that denying some people the option to marry is discrimination and creates a second class of citizens. Support for same-sex marriage has increased substantially across virtually all demographics and partisan groups over the past decade. At the same time there continues to be sharp differences in opinions about this issue between different generations, partnerships and ideology, race and religion. In the Declaration of Independence in the 9th amendment states people have "The right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Which means that people have the right to live the way they want to abiding by the law and being happy. If a couple is happy with who they are with, whether it is the same gender or not, they should have the right to marry that individual.

Laws and restrictions should not affect how someone loves a person or who he or she decides to get married to. The United States is a free country and has the right by the US Constitution for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Therefore, within the Constitution and the Civil Rights these people have the right to be who they want to be and how they want to live. If same-sex marriage is the way of happiness for these people, then taking that away from them is like taking away their happiness. In other words as long as these citizens of the United States are law abiding citizens, why would our country try and push them into second class citizen roles. In conclusion, I am expecting our newly elected President of the United States of America to uphold the ruling of the Supreme Court and continue to make strides towards equality for all. Thus making our great country one where everyone is treated equal.

Thank you,

Janeen H.

Class of 2002

By Reducing the Differences in Opportunities and Experiences between Gay and Heterosexual People, This Unique Culture May Cease to Exist. Lesbian Activist M.V. Lee Badgett, PhD, Director of the Center for Public Policy and Administration at the University. "Gay Marriage - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

Gewurz, Danielle. "Growing Support for Gay Marriage: Changed Minds and Changing Demographics." Pew Research Center for the People and the Press RSS. N.p., 20 Mar. 2013. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

"Same-sex Marriage." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

"California Proposition 8 (2008)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.