Nate M. Illinois

Structure of School

It is talking about why the current structure of school is designed for students to fail and not succeed.

11/21/16

Dear Mr.Trump,

Before my depression happened life was good and everything seemed like it was fine I had good grades I was getting along with others and was very social.But then my depression hit hard and came out of nowhere with very little warnings.Now the reason why I am saying this it is because the school system itself is design in a way that puts students in the direction of failure. For example I wanted to try an AP course this year because I wasn’t being challenged enough in regular class.But because of all the work from this class and from other classes on top of that when my depression hit it took me going to therapy for three weeks just to be able to function st school. Also I had to be pulled out of school for the majority of those three weeks except for 3 days. Another example would be like building a new product for a businesses and it starts to work out and there is some progress made and then boom out of nowhere the product stops working for 3 weeks. The reason why I am saying that school needs to be restructured is because all of the homework is bound to make students fail.This is one of the reason why some students don’t do the work and they just get it from other students. Also it doesn’t matter if kids go to school with it being terribly structured because then the kids are not going to want to learn or even go to the school.What should happen is that there should be rarely any homework unless the students in the class are joking around and not playing attention. Which would make students want to pay attention in class because if they know they will not get homework if they pay attention most will pay attention. It’s like saying this you work a job from seven to five. If you use all your time wisely and get your work done you don’t have to work at home or pull an all nighter. Now some people might say that homework shows students what it is like working a job. I think this is false because most jobs don’t have you work for 2-3 hours at home after you finish your shift at work. Also the desk are very uncomfortable and teacher expect students to sit down on those desk for 7 hours and 15 minutes. Now why is this important because if we have more educated people in the world it will help the world advance in many things such as medical care and technology. Now you could say that there is already a lot of educated people but only 74 graduate high school just high school. College on the other hand has only 30 percent graduate. Which if you take the population of the U.S is 95.7 million people. Now if the structure of school was changed this number would be even higher because students would realize this is how work is actually like and would want to graduate college and high school. So Mr.Trump please consider this.

From,

Nate Massengill 

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.