Tim G. Illinois

The problem with Police hatred

The media is portraying police as the bad guys in this country, overplaying the stories that point out the far and few bad apples.

Dear President Trump,

Bbefore I continue with this letterdocument, I would prefer to get the fact that I reside in the household of a police officer. I feel this is necessary to get across because it offers a perspective that I feel this country greatly needs. It seems that ever since the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, Missouri, the media has been going out of their way to perpetuate police officers as the enemies. Personally, watching this hate unfold throughout our country hurts me and many other families across the U.S. with police officers within their family. I will admit that there are some corrupt people within some justice systems, nevertheless, this over-generalization of all police officers has been overdone and is negatively affecting the overall connection throughout our nation. I believe in many cases, there is a high level of ignorance involved. There is a complete lack to understand that not all police officers wish illwill on people, and choose not to understand the complete story from all different perspectives. For example, in the shooting of Michael Brown, not minutes before the shooting, Brown was stealing from a store and confronting the clerk violently. Even after this evidence was found and brought forward, people within the Black Lives Matter movement and protests refused to accept the fact that Brown was acting like this, and then led him to go for the officer's weapon. In today’s age, technology is very present, to say the least. So when the media can so easily mislead a great number of people, it becomes so much easier to perpetuate these stories in the wrong light. Some ways that we could fix this include some regulations on reporting the facts once the case is closed, or simply limiting the media’s reaches with these kinds of news stories. Either way, this is a problem that needs to be dealt with, because instead of the people in the BLM feeling scared, me and other families of police officers are under strain.

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.