Jeremy L. Illinois

Income Inequality

How will we reduce the gap between the rich and the poor so we can promote the middle class?

11/3/16

Did you know that income inequality in America has been growing since the late 1970s? According to CNN, the rich people are getting richer and the poor people are getting poorer every second of our lives. It doesn't make sense some cities separate the rich and the poor. One example of this is in Lake Providence, Louisiana. On one side of the river live the top 10 percent who go to a private school and the poorer people who live on the other side of the river and go to the public school which has not as good education. This is why we need to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor.

So far, it has come to the point where only the top 10% of Americans are seeing their wealth grow while the bottom 90% get less and less of the pie each year. According to thinkprogress.com, compared to lower income family wealth, upper family income wealth is 70 times larger. When lower family income is 70 times smaller than upper family income, it shows how much we need to improve on in this nation.When it comes to jobs, the ratio between the CEO-to-worker pay ratio is 354-to-one on average for big companies. This proves why 2/3 of Americans are disappointed with the current case of income inequality.

In order for us to close this gap between the rich and the poor, we need to have the rich and the poor in the same setting. This is the first step we must take. Than we need to focus on the education at poor public schools so people without a lot of money can earn scholarships to get into college. And finally, the rich people need to supply these people decent paying jobs because most of the people in America have low income. These are the steps we must take to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor.

Jeremy L.