Jacqueline W. California

Healthcare Affordability

Healthcare affordability problems were temporarily amended, but the overall issue still persists.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

I would like to bring your attention to a major issue among Americans these days; it is the continuing problem of affordable health care. President Obama has temporarily amended this issue with creating Obamacare: According to ObamacareFacts.com, “Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act) is a US healthcare reform law that expands and improves access to care and curbs spending through regulations and taxes.” More low-income people have been able to afford healthcare than ever before but because of Obamacare but, unfortunately the cost is now rising. The Los Angeles Times reports, “California Obamacare rates will rise 13% in 2017.”

I believe everyone has a right to affordable healthcare. Everyone needs it, therefore everyone should get it. For example, someone that does not have enough money to get an MRI means that they will be living in fear of not knowing if they have a fatal medical condition that needs immediate attention. This person will now have to make a decision to receive an MRI, or pay their rent for the month. Most people would agree that it is only fair for citizens of the United States to be cared for fairly and in all ways available. The Preamble to the U.S. Constitution generally comments on how the United States will treat its citizens, It includes the words“...promote the general Welfare...”. It seems clear that our forefathers wanted us to take care of each other.

I am aware that providing more people with care raises the cost of plans for other people, as well as for the companies providing those benefits, but I believe in the philosophical goal that if we all somehow bear the cost of the greater group we would all benefit. I know that it will take some time to figure out the best solution, but I would like to encourage you to create a plan where all United States citizens are looking after each other’s welfare as our forefathers had intended. I am lucky enough to come from a family where my parents work for big companies with great benefits. I have always gotten medical help whenever I needed it. However, my parents’ employment situation is changing and they are now worrying that the luxury of medical care whenever we need it may end.

It is a fact that it is still very difficult to find a healthcare plan for those coming from low-income households. It is also hard for middle-income households to afford new or existing healthcare plans. I have a sister that earned a college degree in 2012, and has still not yet found a professional position in a company where benefits are offered. She has been working multiple part-time jobs for many years because none of the jobs will give her full time work. Many large companies will not allow their employees to work full-time because they will then have to give them health care benefits, and these companies don’t want to pay out. They are opting to outsource their work so that they don’t have to pay for a lot of employees’ healthcare plan. Also, I have a friend whose mother is a nurse, and her parents are divorced. She hurt her back in an athletic practice. I told her I know a really great chiropractor that I have been going to for years, but she said she and her mom cannot afford for her to be treated. This seems ridiculous; her mom works full-time as a nurse, and her own daughter cannot receive medical care.

On the contrary, I know that doctors, nurses and pediatricians, (etc.) need to be paid for doing their jobs and treating those in need. It is appropriate that they be paid for their expertise which took many years of education, training, and experience to be able to properly serve patients. I understand there are many cons to the Affordable Care Act: It is illegal not to have healthcare insurance and those that cannot afford it have to pay a fine; This seems counterproductive. People should be able to afford to live healthy and worry-free lives. It is our duty to take care of each other as we all work towards a common American goal.

I hope you will hear me and let me speak for all of the Americans that are struggling to pay for their own health expenses.

Jacqueline, 17

Newbury Park High School

Lilly - English 12CP

English 12CP class, led by Robin Lilly, Room B21 at Newbury Park High School. Panthers Rock!