Jordyn California

Abortion is important

Abortion rights should stay legal for the following reasons. Abortion could make lives better for teenage mothers, rape victims, and mothers who cant care for a child.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

The subject of abortion has been a very controversial topic since 1973. Some people believe that abortion should be illegal, some believe it should very much be legal. I believe abortion should in fact stay legal for many reasons that will change lives for the better. Although there are some concerns, abortion should continue to play a role in the world we live in today.

A very typical controversial topic about keeping abortion legalized is the act of rape. 1 in 5 women will be a victim of rape in their lifetime. Rape has become more frequent throughout the years and it’s something we need abortion for. Unfortunately, some women happen to get pregnant after rape and that’s something that can very much affect your whole life, including your unborn child’s life. Most women do not want to bring a child into the world if it would be brought into life that way. That would only make the mother and child’s life unhappy. No mother can look at their child if it reminds her of the worst most terrifying moment of their life, and it’s good abortion can be an option for them.

Another reason abortion should stay legalized is teen pregnancy. The U.S. teen pregnancy rate is one of the highest in the world. Some young teens tend to be careless. The age people are beginning to have sex is decreasing and more young teens are beginning to be sexually active at a young age. This means some don't understand the responsibility of protection. Teenagers as young as 14 getting pregnant is a problem because most teens don't have the resources or financial abilities to raise a child. Having a child at such a young age could also damage or make the mother's life very difficult, it could also affect the child's life. A cause of this could be the social media that we have today. Songs and pictures on instagram made and posted by celebrities encourage kids that sex and drugs are okay for young teens.

Many downsides can also occur from abortion. Things such as the danger of the surgery and the carelessness of taking a fetus’s life. Many people don't understand that that abortion is in fact a very big deal. It isn't just a simple surgery, it is a very risky and dangerous surgery that can emotionally affect the mother. In some cases, mothers don't want to give up their child but they feel as if they have to. This could leave the mother in a very depressed state.

Although abortion is dangerous, it can very much change lives for the better. I believe abortion should stay legal because it has already saved so many people such as young teens, rape victims and mothers who can't care for a child. 

Newbury Park High School

Lilly - English 12CP

English 12CP class, led by Robin Lilly, Room B21 at Newbury Park High School. Panthers Rock!