Anthony M. North Dakota

Teenagers Need More Sleep!!

Teenagers don't get enough sleep.

School should start later as little as an hour later. I get about 7 hours of sleep every school day. Students say so and because they are tired and going to bed earlier isn't reasonable because students have jobs and other things to attend to. It may need some convincing for people because you may go to sleep really early.

Have you ever found yourself so tired that you can't stay awake? Students need more than 7 hours of sleep. Sleep deprivation causes illness and headaches both of which can limit their learning experience. Students need 8 to 10 hours of sleep to function best. Most students drive to school and it's scaring to think 75% of the students are on 7 hours of sleep or less. According to “National Sleep Foundation” Drowsiness is the cause of 100,000 car crashes ever year. The next president should because, Schools starting later nationwide will save students lives, by reducing the number of teenage car crashes.

Teenagers need to go to sleep earlier, Students may work or have a school activity that requires you to stay up later. The extra time in the morning wouldn't be spent sleeping. That's the student's fault for not getting the amount of sleep needed. There would be less time at night. Yes but teens production of melatonin, the body’s sleep hormone, occurs later at night during puberty. This makes it more difficult for teens to fall asleep before 11 p.m. and wake up before 8 a.m.

Schools need to start one hour later because teens would do better in school and get in less car accidents if they had one hour more of sleep. Teenagers driving drowsy causes 100,000 car crashes yearly. Students need 8 to 10 hours of sleep to function properly. Sleep deprivation causes headaches and illnesses which limits their learning experience, Also teenagers falling asleep before 11 p.m. and waking up before 8 a.m. is hard because melatonin is not produced until later because of puberty.