Briano Massachusetts

Factory Farms

Factory Farms

90% of meat in the U.S comes from factory farms. A very important issue that needs to be dealt with is animal abuse. This issue is very important to me. I come from a family of farming, I have seen the way of life my relatives lead with respect and care for animals, I have helped them at their farms and cared for livestock. The animals have large fields and graze freely, they all have space to move and are fed nutritious food. Unfortunately these practices are very hard to find in America today. Many farms mass produce meat while the animals used suffer terribly in horrible conditions. Throughout my own experiences I have decided to become a vegetarian and have refused to go to zoo’s from a young age. I strongly believe that animals should not be treated the way they are in many factory farms today. Many people assume farm animals are dumb insensitive creatures to rationalize the torture they are subject to, and the mass slaughter they undergo each year. What many people do not know is that these animals are as smart and sensitive as their own pets. “From pigs to cows, sheep to chickens, farm animals are all much smarter than we’ve ever given them credit for. Pigs learn their names and can do tricks like a dog. Cows, goats, and chickens all have incredibly complex social constructs, and they have best friends just like we do”(Anna Vallery, One Green Planet, 1/30/15).

Animal mistreatment and slaughter has become part of our daily basis. Although many people are not aware of it the meat they buy at fast food restaurants and supermarkets, in many cases comes from horribly abused animals that have suffered and lived in terrible conditions. These rich fast food chains produce meat the cheapest way possible without regard to the living conditions of the animals. Animals do not have the rights they deserve. “An animal's right to not have unnecessary pain inflicted should be protected” (E.D Kort, Britannica). Another concept that has been affected by factory farming is how much space each animal gets. On average chickens in factory farms have less than 67 square inches per hen, less than a standard sheet of paper. “Physiologically the animals muscles and bones completely deteriorate from lack of use. Psychologically the animals go completely insane.”(CNN, Jane Velez, Factory Farming). Animals are being denied the right to do what they have evolved to do, such as spread their wings or simply walk around. Although factory farming is a huge part of animal abuse, animals used in circuses and attractions such as sea world and some zoos are also being abused. Much like factory farms the animal entertainment industry aims to make as much money as possible while compromising the comfort and quality of life for the animals they use. Entertainment animals are taken out of their natural habitat and forced to live under harsh conditions and perform simply for the enjoyment of others, a very cruel concept. “Traveling animal acts perpetuate animal cruelty, inhumane care, public safety hazards and distorted images of wildlife. Circus animals are confined virtually all of their lives in barren conditions, while forced to suffer extreme physical and psychological deprivation” (Paws, anonymous author)

Many people are naive when it comes to the lives of animals, advertisement show big beautiful farms with happy free grazing cows and such images. The truth is most farms are no longer this way at all. A new concept of factory farming has allowed companies to mass produce meat which has led to horrible mistreatment of animals. For all factory farming and animal slaughter to stop would be a big jump and would have to be a gradual process. In the meantime there are things that can be done to improve living conditions for animals. A new bill in congress nicknamed the “egg bill” aims to double the amount of space for hens in factory farms. Purchasing cage free eggs and inspecting were the meat one is buying came from are good ways to stop factory farming. A great way to take part in protecting animals is voting yes for question three on the Massachusetts state ballot. Voting yes on this question would support passing a law that makes it illegal for animals to be confined in cages that do not let them stretch their limbs, lie down, or turn around. Another way to contribute to ending animal abuse is supporting local circuses that don't use animals, or simply avoiding circuses or attractions that do. As president I believe you have a responsibility to not only help citizens of the U.S but also protect the animals of the U.S.

Sincerely, Briano Demb 

Baker ELA

Pink

8th Grade