Millie C. Massachusetts

Why should we keep guns? This is why.

Gun control has been a major problem in the USA for the last couple of years. Personally, I feel as if access to guns should stay, but we should do more of an in-depth background check, to make sure the owners will use them responsibly. This is important because everyone deserves to feel safe. Citizens should still have a right to bear arms. We should keep it this way because some people are 100% responsible with their guns. But on the other hand, people have been murdered by gun owners who use their weapons immaturely. Extremely in-depth background checks could bring a great change to this country.

In our country, gun control is a topic that occurs quite frequently in the media. In the article “Face it: Guns are Here to Stay,” it states, “It must be accepted that guns will never be eliminated from the United States and that the best gun policies are those that accept this fact.” With gun control being a huge topic in the USA, it is pointless to talk about the topic if we can’t ban the weapons because it is the second amendment and many people feel safe with guns and will protest. The second amendment is the right of the people to keep and bear arms. This means people are able to own weapons/guns. People want to own guns so they can feel safe and if they are ever in danger they can use their weapon for self defense. For example, if someone is inside your house when you get home from work and they come really close to you and threaten to kill your family then you could pull out your pistol from your purse and shoot them. The US Constitution guarantees this right to protect your home and family.

On the other hand, the opposing view believe guns should stay out of this country for good and don’t want to be threatened by someone who is armed. The citizens that I agree with feel safe with guns so if they are ever threatened by someone who is armed they can use their personal guns as self defense. According to the article “Shame on the US: How many tiny coffins so we need next time” President Obama said “We can’t tolerate this anymore. We are not doing enough and we will have to change. While I agree with him mostly I also feel that banning weapons will not make a difference due to other weapons that can be used for murders. Bad people will always find a way to do bad things. I completely understand why people would want to feel safe. The opposing view would feel more safe without guns in this country just like how we feel safe with guns so we can use them as self defense.

Personally, I have an idea of my own of how we can make sure people who are willing to own guns are fit and will use them responsibly. We can create a more in-depth background check. This could include monthly surprise visits to the owner’s house, before and after the owner purchases the gun. If the police find anything somewhat suspicious or history of mental illness, the officers should ask questions to the owner and close, honest family members. If, for some reason, they can’t seek out the gun after they buy it, they will go to other houses or destinations the owner goes to frequently. This should make everyone happy because it will WAY harder to purchase guns but, it is still possible to, but you just have to be 100% capable of owning the weapon. That could be a smaller change to America involving gun control.

Once again, I think you should create a more in-depth background checks can keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible citizens. Guns should not be banned entirely so people who are responsible could use them as self defense. By the way congratulations on winning the presidential race! I am looking forward to the the next 4 years with you leading America through good times and hard times!

With great admiration and respect,

Millie C.

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.