Ellisandra Utah

Church and state

A letter about Abortion and women's rights

Congrats on being elected. I am a senior at a catholic private high school in Utah. I write to you about women's rights. As a devout Catholic, I understand the whole pro-life concept however it is the 20th century. According to abort73.com, “Based on available state-level data, an estimated 954,000 abortions took place in 2014—down from approximately 983,000 abortions in 2013 and 1.02 million abortions in 2012.” I truly believe and know that women make the decision to have an abortion very carefully. I think that men have no right to make the decision for women. However I get that for certain men, that's their jobs. So I ask they meet with women who have had abortions or get women's input.

People argue that the option for abortion is an easy choice for women and they have unprotected sex because they can always just get an abortion. In my opinion women get abortions because it is the best thing for the baby. “On average, women give at least 3 reasons for choosing abortion: 3/4 say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner (AGI).” (According to abort73.com)

“If everyone on the planet lived like an average American, it would take over 4 Earths to produce the renewable resources and absorb the wastes needed to support us.” (http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/us_population) We are overpopulated or at least have a very large population in the US and people are not in desperate need for babies. This website (http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/us_population) talks about how our popluation is growing. We should be looking for adoption for the kids who are already born, like orphans in Africa.

My advice would be to remember to put your religion views to the side and choose the moral choice. Jesus was all loving and if abortion is a sin then let God judge those people. It is not your place nor will it ever be your place to tell a woman what she can and can't do. I wish you luck in office and pray you will always do the moral thing!

Thank you for your time,

Ellisandra Cordova 

Judge Memorial

Judge Memorial-Jeffreys

Students enrolled in AP English Language and Composition at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.