Connor R. Massachusetts

Racism

A NFL Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been taking a knee during the National Anthem due to what he claims unfair laws because of skin color.

Dear President:

Though you will have many responsibilities running the country we hope to bring the constant ongoing racism in America to your attention. Colin Kaepernick, the starting QB for the 49ers, has taken a knee during the National Anthem in the 49ers vs Rams Week 1 matchup this is because he thinks that cops are treating black people differently when they commit a crime. We wish bring this to your attention is because taking a knee during the Anthem is disrespecting the country that you will be running and since this can create some crisis and rioting we thought you could help you resolve this problem.

Colin and two other of his teammates are trying to prove a point but they are doing it in the wrong way (in the eyes of some) and because of their actions other players from the league are starting to take a knee and even other people from different sports. From the article “Freedom of Speech” claims that the Supreme court is trying to take full responsibility but is doing it in a very slow process, which is making the Black people angry. The government in the past has tried to stop racism: “In 1791, the first ten amendments to the Constitution, collectively known as the Bill of Rights, were added in an effort to address these concerns.” Though they have tried it all seems to have gone for nothing. The fact the teams and coaches are getting suspended for doing what Kaepernick is doing and this shows how much America , if at all about African-Americans.

Others who agree with Kaepernick either feel very strongly and agree with him or they agree but aren’t really to take a knee. One player who agrees with Kaepernick's actions is Jameis Winston the starting QB for the Buccaneers who respects Colin’s decision to kneel during the national anthem “Bucs QB Jameis Winston respects Kaepernick’s strength” by ESPN Staff Writer Jenna Laine. Jameis agrees and shows respect to Kaepernick “I'm not surprised, Winston said It's a team choice”. Winston though agrees with Kaepernick doesn’t feel as strongly about the situation as Colin does. "I haven't talked to Colin on the issue at all, but whatever he stands for, he's [made] a strong stand for it," "He's a man so he's entitled to his own opinion. But me? I'm just focusing on the Bucs and football and nothing else." This shows and can explain that people are tired and sick of the same type of racism towards African Americans and that something needs to change as soon as possible.

Colin’s stand hasn’t only inspired NFL stars but also middle school and high school football players. In the article “After taking a knee, young boys saw their football coach suspended then their whole season canceled,” by Shaun King from the New York Daily News kids who took a knee because they were inspired by Kaepernick got punished and had their entire season ended due to taking a stand because of what they believed.

Another time middle school kids did this was in the article/video In the article “High school players take a knee for national anthem across the country” by USA Today it states that high school football players were standing up and agreeing with Kaepernick’s cause. In the video “athlete kneels” on the USA Today High School Sports website it shows that not only black people want this racism to stop. It is in fact true that even white people are standing up for a “silent protest” and are sympathizing with Black people and the racism they go through.

In conclusion, racism should be a problem that the president should definitely be aware of and take care of him taking a knee during the anthem.The president should have the officers and others in general treat everyone equally and fairly no matter what race, height, weight, age, and other social features. If there any disagreement the government should create a fair and equal solution to take care of it.You should also make sure that any person that tries to throw a riot against police that is unreasonable after changes have been made to help change that should be put in jail.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to read about our thoughts and opinions it truly means a lot to both of us writing this to you and we both would like to wish you the best luck in running our country.

Christen Charles

Connor Rintoul 

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.